Husband Refused To Leave Bed-Ridden Wife's Side During Fire, Dies

Written by Ana Krneta
ADVERTISEMENT - ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
ADVERTISEMENT - ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
ADVERTISEMENT

A tragic story from the quiet English village of Somersham, Cambridgeshire is also a testament to the power of true love. Elderly couple Roger Freestone, 67, and his wife Maureen, 65, were killed in a blaze that took their lives and destroyed their home.

ADVERTISEMENT - ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

According to reports, the couple had a hoarding problem so their home was full of combustible material which also made it difficult to navigate through. A cardboard box accidentally caught fire when neighbours saw Mr. Freestone attempting to kick the box out of his front door. However, the fire had already started to spread.

ADVERTISEMENT - ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
ADVERTISEMENT - ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
ADVERTISEMENT - ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

Mr. Freestone's wife, Maureen, happened to be bedridden which compounded any exit plan. When he realized that he wouldn't be able to get his wife out of their rapidly burning home, he made the difficult decision to stay by his wife’s side where they passed away together.

ADVERTISEMENT - ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

Although Roger and Maureen suffered from the blaze, there were two carers who managed to escape. When firefighters showed up, they were unable to enter the home. The attempt to save the couple was hindered due to gas canisters that Mr. Freestone had in the house that exploded and further exaggerated the fire.

ADVERTISEMENT - ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
ADVERTISEMENT - ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

Mr. Freestone's wife, Maureen, happened to be bedridden which compounded any exit plan. When he realized that he wouldn't be able to get his wife out of their rapidly burning home, he made the difficult decision to stay by his wife’s side where they passed away together.

Although Roger and Maureen suffered from the blaze, there were two carers who managed to escape. When firefighters showed up, they were unable to enter the home. The attempt to save the couple was hindered due to gas canisters that Mr. Freestone had in the house that exploded and further exaggerated the fire.

ADVERTISEMENT - ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

Click ‘Next Page’ to keep reading and don’t forget to SHAREwith your Facebook friends.

Page 1 of 2
ADVERTISEMENT
Advertisement
ADVERTISEMENT
Please leave your comments below!
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT - ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT