It just so happens that a lot of Hollywood’s leading ladies are also quite easy on the eyes. Not every actress is comfortable taking on roles of a provocative nature, but others have no problem being a film’s eye candy.
There are many risque performances that have catapulted actresses to stardom and others that have used it as an avenue to break free from their squeaky clean image. Despite the film’s overall success, these actresses made the movies they starred in memorable for a whole other reason.
Here are 16 of Hollywood’s hottest actresses that left little to the imagination with the roles they took.
1. Salma Hayek had a breakout performance in Robert Rodriguez’s From Dusk Till Dawn. Hayek played a bikini-clad dancer in a scene that wore out many VCR’s in the late 90s. Surprisingly, Hayek improvised the entire sultry dance and even overcame her fear of snakes for the scene.
2. Margot Robbie became a household name after her role in Martin Scorsese’s The Wolf of Wall Street. The actress bared all for the camera and even her clothed scenes became instantly iconic.
3. Amber Heard starred in the adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis’ novel, The Informers, where costume wasn’t a very big requirement for her role. From steamy threesomes to tanning in the nude, Heard was game for the typical staples of Ellis fare.
4. Natalie Portman earned herself an Oscar for her haunting performance in Black Swan, which didn’t just get attention for being cinematic gold. Portman took on one of her raciest roles to date, including a drug-induced love making session with Mila Kunis.
5. Sharon Stone solidified her place in the pop culture zeitgeist of the 90s with many risque roles. However, Stone’s most notable performance and perhaps home of one of the most paused movie moments in cinema history was in Paul Verhoeven’s Basic Instinct.
6. Denise Richards made a name for herself when she starred in the campy thriller Wild Things. Richards had many memorable moments in the film, including a now famous pool scene with Neve Campbell.
7. Angelina Jolie has become one of Hollywood’s biggest stars and throughout her career, she’s never shied away from provocative roles. Jolie bared all in one of her early roles in the TV film Gia where she played one of America’s first supermodels.
8. Halle Berry has received much acclaim for her work in Monster’s Ball, an incredibly provocative role which ended up getting her an Academy Award.
9. Scarlett Johansson has made some very interesting film choices throughout her career. She showed a whole new side of herself in the indie Under the Skin, where she played a mysterious young woman who seduces lonely men in the evening hours in Scotland.
10. Katie Holmes shed her good girl image after playing Joey Potter for many years on the hit teen drama, Dawson’s Creek, when she appeared in the thriller The Gift.
11. Nicole Kidman has had a career full of roles that most mainstream actresses would shy away from, but her most prominent would be Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut.
12. Charlize Theron has established herself as one of Hollywood’s most sought-after leading ladies. The role that galvanized her into the next tier of fame was her portrayal of Mary Ann Lomax in 1997’s The Devil’s Advocate.
13. The entire cast of Harmony Korine’s controversial Spring Breakers took former Disney starlets and dropped them in a world of hedonism. The teen icons left little to the imagination in their spring break gone wild.
14. Mila Kunis has taken on some provocative roles in her career, but one of her most notable mainstream hits was alongside Justin Timberlake in the film, Friends With Benefits. The movie added an unexpected amount of raunchy energy to the usually tame rom-com genre.
15. Naomi Watts is no stranger to risque performances, but her role in David Lynch’s Mulholland Drive brought her fame to the next level.
16. Rosario Dawson showed she had nothing to hide with her bare-all performance in the 2013 crime mystery Trance.