There have been many celebrated pieces of art throughout history that have achieved a sense of timelessness. The mediums being used may change drastically throughout the years, but we can all appreciate the artistry behind works from past generations and each take something different away from observing them. Unfortunately for artists behind these famed pieces, our generation’s update to their work would probably have them rolling in their graves.
The worlds of art history and memes have collided in one hilarious way. There’s been a trend of people on the Internet taking classic paintings and adding their own text quips, which gives the piece an entirely new meaning.
Even art enthusiasts themselves will have a hard time fighting a smile with these 24 art history memes that create a new storyline — one that the original artist definitely never intended.
1. Think you haven’t changed in the past decade? Take a trip down Facebook memory lane and you’ll experience a shame spiral deeper than you ever imagined. No regrets? Well, you’re probably the person people keep on their friend lists to feel better about themselves. Considering this woman clearly doesn’t have social media, you have to wonder what she’s reading that caused this reaction. Maybe an old diary entry?
2. It’s going to take a lot more than a measly bouquet of flowers and a bow to win over this melancholic maiden. With a haunted gaze that has clearly seen it all and a hip-resting backhand pose, it doesn’t appear this artist was going for a meet-cute, and this meme only further solidifies that notion.
3. Anyone who has worked in the dark trenches of the retail world knows that customers can smell the end of a shift. They will naturally be drawn to approach anyone about to clock out to make the most intricate requests possible. All those hours wasted counting down the minutes only to have to grab something from the most inconvenient place in the back room.
4. It’s a lot easier to roast yourself than be roasted by others, but when you take it too far, it can quickly go from uncomfortable laughter to “wait, are you okay?” It’s a fine line when telling a self-deprecating joke, if it’s not all that funny then it might end up being just a self-deprecating truth.
5. We have no problem getting our hands dirty when we’re eating, but for some reason, the aftermath of food meeting water is a sensation we all desperately try to avoid. However, when you’re doing the dishes, sometimes the soggy corpses of past meals will make contact to which this face is the natural response.
6. You have to wonder how people used to pose for so long back in the day. They couldn’t have been eating great, and most things they did consume would probably have been quite a gamble. Outside of the fact that curry probably wasn’t on the menu for this man, the meme might not be too far from the truth.
7. We’ve all been there. Whenever you have to really go to the bathroom in a public place, it’s like there was some sudden universal wave of urination needs. It’s certainly not easy to take your mind off of the fact that you’ve gotta go when everyone surrounding you is quivering their knees as well.
8. Homework may seem like a burden we’d much rather trade for compared to the obligations of adult life, but we can all remember the dread of being sent homework for after class back in the day. We might not have expressed ourselves as dramatically as this crouching duo, but we felt it inside.
9. It’s unfortunate that adult wagons aren’t a thing because there are probably a lot people who would love a leisurely nap while getting from point A to point B. For now, passing out in compromising positions on public transportation will just have to do. That basket troll towards the bottom also seems to have it pretty good.
10. There’s nothing better than seeing your grandmother disobey your own mother’s requests, especially when you financially profit from it. This neck-bearded man may be a little old to still be receiving handouts from his generous three-toothed grandmother, but hey, that’s a look of interminable appreciation if there ever was one.
11. We all have a friend that takes absolutely nothing in moderation, and the nights out with these excess-loving amigos can make us resort to channeling the inner parental voices we never knew we were instilled with. However, after a certain tipping point, there is really no winning. Everyone eventually loses at this game.
12. Consoling a heartbroken friend is never an easy task, but it comes with the territory every now and then. It’s these moments where you’re not as much comforting them as you are taking on the role of being their life coach so that they don’t go full Fatal Attraction crazy.
13. Sore losers get a lot of flack when playing a board game, but it’s the delusional loser who should really get the heat. The player that is so insistent that they shouldn’t be losing that they crack out the rule book and suck out all of the fun of the game for one painfully unnecessary intermission.
14. Geography it is not, but one would hope that it wouldn’t take the dissection of someone’s forearm to make you realize that. This meme may have created a storyline of its own, however, you’ve got to wonder what the hell was going on in this painting to begin with.
15. You have to wonder what it’s like to be a teacher and ask a question to a class where no one knows the answer. It just might be the closest feeling to being invisible while still being present. The man on the right knows that what you can’t see won’t hurt you.
16. It’s not the server’s fault, there are just some things that are part of the job, and selling up is always one of them. They don’t want to have to relay it, you don’t want to hear it, but we all have to endure it. Patience is a virtue, but not all of us have it when it comes to ordering food.
17. It’s not always an oven, but we’ve all had those moments where you remember you left something on that could potentially burn down the place you once called home. Luckily, when you’re traveling with a pack like this, there’s a chance no one will know that you’re missing. They’ll probably just assume that you’re dead.
18. We can probably all agree that autocorrect is as much of a blessing as it is a curse. Sure, it’s saved us from embarrassing attempts, but it’s also made us send words that never belonged in the context of the sentence. When it hits you with a double whammy wrong autocorrect, there’s no other face to make than this one right here.
19. There’s no heart-stopping moment quite like feeling for your phone only to have your hand met with no such device. As this man’s face of horror demonstrates, it’s a sudden flash of wondering where you left it last, what compromising photos are on your camera roll, and how you’re going to afford a new phone.
20. Having a dog for a pet is kind of like inviting a living vacuum into your home, which is great for crumbs, but if there’s one thing that’s going to cause it to malfunction, it’s chocolate. We try our best to keep our canine’s mouths cocoa-free, but every now and then, this battle ignites.
21. Movie theaters rely mostly on their concession stand sales which makes it no surprise that many people’s eyes widen when they see the price of popcorn and a soda. The true cinephiles know to bring their own snacks, but the rules against it leave a lot of them looking like this.
22. There’s certainly an art to a mastering a good photobomb, and most of time, it’s all about speed. However, back in the day, if you wanted to sneak into someone else’s painting, you would have to be really dedicated to the craft. This man right here has the face of dedication.
23. We learn from an early age to not complain about our commutes to school because, at any point, an elder in a nearby radius will tell you how much worse they had it. How one’s trek involves going uphill both ways may remain a mystery, but the tale will continue on forever.
24. There are some people who just have no filters. They don’t care that they just met you, they’ll let you in on every grisly detail of their seemingly never ending list of personal life problems. All you can do is try your best to not let your uncomfortableness come out through your pretend listening face.