Walt Disney’s Avengers: Infinity War is an amazing movie not only in its box office statistics (according to Forbes the film is expected to top the 600 million dollar mark within a three week period) but in the fact that multiple superheroes made an appearance in this gigantic mesh of good versus bad. Whether it be the members of the Guardians of the Galaxy or your billionaire genius in Iron Man, many superheroes and supervillains showed up for this film.
But within the more than two-hour long film, there was, of course, tons of action which made the film seem like a short television episode.
And with all that action, there were stunt doubles to ensure that the celebrities are safe and that the scenes look spectacular.
1. Bobby Holland Hanton and Chris Hemsworth. Bobby is the stunt double for Chris Hemsworth and according to an article from Men’s Health, Bobby has also doubled for Chris Pine and Chris Evans. The article says that the Australian stuntman has doubled for the god of thunder in two Thor movies and a trio of Avengers films. He’s also done stunt work for Hemsworth in The Huntsman: Winter’s War and In The Heart of the Sea.
In an interview with news.com.au, Bobby said: ‘Thor is definitely the most difficult character that we have to get in shape for. Chris is already huge. He’s much bigger than me naturally, so I have to train twice a day. We might train first thing in the morning and last thing at night. We try and eat every two-and-a-half hours. For breakfast, we might have something like scrambled eggs with steak and spinach. No carbs in the morning. Then two hours later we might have a chicken breast and salad. After our first training session, we’d introduce the carbs, usually brown rice, sweet potato or quinoa and then we’d continue to eat carbs up until the last meal. It’s pretty intense.’
2. Tony McFarr and Chris Pratt. Chris, or Star Lord from Guardians of the Galaxy has his own stuntman named Tony McFarr. Tony has been Chris’s stunt double not only for his role as Star Lord but also for Jurassic World. According to Entertainment Weekly, Tony has also played in movies such as the Hunger Games, Furious 7, and Captain America: Civil War.
It was on Chris Pratt’s Instagram account where he gave a shout out to his stunt double. The photo which featured the Star Lords staring at each other had the caption: ‘here’s me and my stunt-man Tony McFarr. Been working with Tony since Jurassic World. Love you buddy, Happy wrap!’
3. Anthony Molinari/Mark Ruffalo. Molinari is Mark Ruffalo’s stunt double and Mark Ruffalo plays the green monster, Hulk, in Avengers. Avengers is not the first time that Anthony has doubled as Mark since Anthony has also worked on the set of Now You See Me as Mark’s double. According to ecelebrityfacts, Anthony, who is from Massachusetts, has been a stunt coordinator and stuntman in over 100 TV shows and feature films like Hardest Hit, Best High Work, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Amazing Spider-Man, and The Dark Knight Rises.
5. Paul Lacovara and Tom Hiddleston. Loki, who is played by Tom Hiddleston, plays an integral role in the movie and because of that purpose his stunt double, Paul Lacovara, must be equally as brilliant in his execution of his stunts. According to istunt.com which is the Premier Stunt Directory, Paul has been both a stuntman as well as a stunt coordinator.
In an interview with The White Space, Paul spoke about working for Marvel and also playing as a stuntman for Tom. ‘I love working for Marvel. Everyone is always so nice and they treat you like family. It was really good to be back working for them and I hope to do it again soon. I feel very fortunate to be a part of the comic book world and especially a part of the Marvel Universe.’
6. Aaron Toney and Anthony Mackie. Falcon in Avengers is played by Anthony Mackie and according to an article from Looper, Aaron Toney is the stuntman for Anthony but he has also doubled for Eddie Murphy, Chris Tucker and Chiwetel Ejiofor. But it was in 2012 when Aaron doubled for Anthony in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, where he truly got known for his stunt work.
After doubling for Anthony in 2012, the two started to work together and he became Anthony’s double in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and reprised his job in Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man, and Captain America: Civil War. Aaron can also be seen doing stunts as Black Panther in Civil War, and he was both a fight coordinator and stunt double for the Blue Ranger in 2017’s Power Rangers.
7. James Young/Sebastian Stan. James is Marvel’s stunt choreographer but he is also the stunt double for Sebastian Stan. Sebastian plays Bucky Barnes in Avengers: Infinity War, but his character first debuted in Black Panther. According to Looper, James started working in 2011 and got a big break in 2014.
In an interview with tropicult.com, the native of England said that he got into stunt work after a good friend and training partner of his told him to train with him and his friends. James also went on to describe the different types of martial arts that he incorporated into his character as Bucky Barnes. ‘Jeet Kune Do, Boxing, Sambo and some Aikido were bases to Bucky. He’s adaptable, has the tools to deal with nearly any situation. His intelligence is always fun to play with because of how skilled he is. And then there is his arm!’
8. Sam Hargrave and Chris Evans. Sam is Chris Evan’s stuntman for Captain America and he has also worked in the 2017 film Atomic Blonde. On his IMDb page, he is described as a stuntman, actor and an editor. In a Looper article which talked about Sam’s role as a stuntman, he is described as Marvel’s resident stunt coordinator and choreographer.
In an interview with CBS News, Sam talks about his role as Captain America: ‘I exist because I am expendable. In all honesty, it’s because if I get hurt, I can be replaced. If the shot is going to be epic, if it’s going to be awesome, and to make it epic and awesome you have to hit the ground and possibly hurt yourself, I choose to hit the ground and possibly hurt myself. Because in my silly stunt man mind, an epic shot that lives forever on film, I’ll get over it in a couple of months!’
9. Heidi Moneymaker and Scarlett Johansson. According to an article from The Telegraph, Heidi Moneymaker has been the stuntwoman for the likes of Drew Barrymore, Julianne Moore, Elizabeth Banks and also Amanda Seyfried. Originally a gymnast, Heidi reached mainstream media after doubling for Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow.
While Heidi proudly boasts about being blown up, and jumping out of windows and being tossed from cars, she does have some exceptions. In an interview with Maxim, the stuntwoman said: ‘I don’t do nude stunts so there’s that. Actually, I was asked to double Jennifer Aniston one time and be covered in bees and I said no. I’m not allergic but I just didn’t feel like I wanted to be covered in bees.’
10. Rob De Groot/Dave Bautista. Rob De Groot is the stunt performer for Dave Bautista, who plays the role of Drax. Rob is a 45-year-old native from Holland and he has been a stunt performer for over 17 years now. In an interview with Fitforfilms.com, he spoke about doubling for Dave Bautista: ‘So far I have done 10 movies with him together and still going. I’m fortunate that he wants to bring me to every show he’s going to do. It’s an honour when you get to be the main stunt double for an actor because it tells you that you must be doing something right. It becomes more then just doubling him; you’re becoming friends as well and looking after him.’
Click ‘NEXT POST’ for more great articles and be sure to ‘SHARE’ on Facebook!