Tattoos are a form of body modification that are becoming more and more widely accepted. Many workplaces now allow people with visible tattoos or piercings to work for them. As it becomes less of a taboo, several people have probably thought about getting a tattoo at one point or another. Whether you have a full sleeve planned or a small discreet tattoo you’d like to get—the world is your oyster. There are tons of creative ways tattoos can be used to enhance a person’s appearance whether it be:
- Covering a scar,
- Disguising a wound,
- Realistic images.
If you aren’t sure where to begin, there are tons of photos online that you can browse to get some inspiration. While there is a lot to think about when getting a tattoo (like where to place it and where to get it done), the most important step is figuring out what it is you actually want.
Here is a list of 28 of some of the coolest and most mind-blowing tattoos that people have gotten. Whether it’s a beautiful piece of art or a hyper-realistic image, you’re bound to see something interesting.
1. Mathematical: Some tattoos can be silly and others can reflect the owner’s personality. It may not be obvious right away to someone else, but most tattoos hold a specific meaning behind them. Check out this colorful mathematics tattoo. It’s interesting to look at and it makes me wonder what the meaning behind it could be.
2. Bullet Holes: Ouch! At first glance this definitely looks semi-realistic. But these hardcore bullet wounds are just the work of a great tattoo artist.
3. Scorpion: It’s insane how realistic some of these tattoos come out looking. Like the giant scorpion on this guy’s back. The fine details and attention to the shadowing makes this scorpion look almost alive.
4. Gear Leg: I’m guessing this person is either into steampunk or has metal in their leg. Regardless of the meaning behind it, this cool tattoo gives the illusion that you’re staring right into this guy’s leg.
5. Tongue Tattoo: Did you know that tongue tattoos are a thing? People have pretty much gotten every part of their bodies tattooed including eyeballs and private parts. Tongue tattoos can’t be very detailed because it’s not the best surface for holding ink, and they generally don’t last very long. Do you think it’s worth it?
6. Bloody Mouth: This stitched up realistic looking mouth is pretty creepy! It almost looks like this girl has a monster growing out of her neck.
7. Shark Arm: This is a clever way to spruce up your shoulder for those who lack one of their limbs. I’m wondering if this guy lost his arm to a shark or if he was just being creative.
8. Staring Contest: Eyeballs are a pretty hard thing to draw realistically. The human eye is so complicated and communicative that it has to be done just right. Drawing them on paper is one thing, but when they’re executed well on skin it’s even more impressive.
9. Throat Gash: For some reason, tattoos depicting fake wounds are a pretty popular trend. Such as this guy’s gruesome cut throat. I guess he has his reasons but depending on his job, he might have to wear turtlenecks.
10. Spider: Although some people are terrified of them, there are others who consider them adorable pets or interesting creatures.
11. Bows: What do you think of these cute little ankle tattoos? They’re dainty and subtle and can be easily hidden with socks if you so please.
12. Crackling Star: This star looks like it’s literally chiseled into his forearm. That takes some serious shading skill and planning because if this is done incorrectly the whole thing can look dark and blotchy and the illusion will be lost.
13. Muscles: Don’t worry, this isn’t an actual photo of an operation. But the deep color of red and realistic pins gives this tattoo a realistic gory effect.
14. Pen: If this guy asks you for a pen, he’s being serious because the pen behind his ear is actually a tattoo. I’m wondering if maybe this guy is a writer.
15. This isn’t a black and white photograph of a woman, it’s a tattoo on another lady’s back! Portrait tattoos are very difficult to do and this one turned out beautifully.
16. Shoulder Wound: This guy’s tattoo makes it looks like he has three nails sticking out of his shoulder! Though the shadows might be off depending on what time of day it is.
17. Dolphin Disguise: Another clever way to to cover scars from the loss of a limb. It’s nice to see that despite the obvious tragedy of the situation, people are still able to accept it and even have fun.
18: Ripped Ribs: Another realistic torn skin tattoo. It’s hard to tell whether this one was done to cover a scar or if the whole thing is actually a tattoo.
19. Third Eye: Usually the third eye is located on the forehead, but for this guy it’s on his neck. Even if he’s staring directly up it will still looks like he’s watching you.
20. Hooked: It really looks like this person got their foot snagged by a fishing hook! Thankfully this is just clever shading. I’m guessing this person might like to fish.
21. Superhero: Check it out! It’s your friendly neighborhood superhero Spiderman! This tat looks awesome but it probably hurt a lot. The rib cage is one of the most painful spots to get work done.
22. Fruit by the foot: This girl has a giant strawberry on her foot! The details in this one are quite impressive from the accents of light on the top right to the accurate shadowing underneath. It really looks like you could reach down and pick it up.
23. Hollow: This is a neat tribute to Alice in Wonderland. The pitch black ink against the glow of the blue and realistic looking bones makes this girl’s torso look hollow from the side.
24. Eyeball: Looks like eyeballs on biceps is a popular trend! You can really see the glassiness in this eye and the way they reflect.
25. Stare into the soul: Nope, this isn’t a close up of someone’s face, this is another tattoo of a realistic eye on someone’s chest!
26. Majestic: Colorful and realistic, this horse looks like it’s ready to gallop right off her back.
27. Escape: It looks like this tattoo might have been done using white ink to create the illusion that someone is trying to break out of this guy’s chest. It really does look like it would be textured if you were to touch it. Creepy!
28. King: The details of this guy’s face and beard are terrific and it gives this king a fierce and realistic look.