Life is full of all sorts of ups and downs, surprises and hardships, good times and bad. It can throw you curveballs and can also reward you with so many different lessons and experiences. There are lots of things we know about our lives, but there are even more that we don’t know about. The things we don’t know give us opportunities to learn and understand new things.
At the same time, sometimes people prefer to live in ignorance. As they say, ignorance is bliss and sometimes people prefer not to know the truth behind lots of things in life. Whether or not people willfully choose to understand some things about life, the fact remains that some things in life are inevitable — and it is better that we prepare ourselves for them in the event that things do go wrong.
Here are 20 brutal truths about life that no one wants to admit.
1. Sometimes, you will fail. You will not be successful at everything you do in life. Prepare yourself for failure and learn how to deal with that failure.
2. Never take your life for granted. You have no idea what will happen two minutes from now or even two hours from now. Understand that.
3. Not everyone is going to like you. No matter how good of a person you are, you cannot make everyone like you. Remember this.
4. You will (whether intentionally or not) wrong people at some point in your life, and sometimes you might not even know it. So be kind and compassionate to everyone, and try to do the right thing when you meet new people.
5. Be smart with your money. Always have a budget, and don’t go over that budget. Save when you can and always try to put away a little bit from every paycheck, even if it’s a small amount.
6. Rely on yourself, and only yourself. One day your friends and family might not be here.
7. People you love or consider great friends may one day drift away or hurt you. The true friends will stay, and as you grow older you will begin to understand who those true friends are.
8. Your actions define who you are. You can have all the best intentions in the world, but intentions can only go so far without action.
9. Everyone is out for themselves. This is important to remember.
10. The grass is always greener on the other side. No one’s life is better than yours. Everyone goes through their own struggles, whether they talk about it or not. Your problems and struggles are no worse or no better than what anyone else is going through.
11. Do not let your emotions control your life. You are 100% in control of your emotions. The most successful people in the world understand how to control their emotions, and you should too.
12. There is no “perfect” person or “perfect” love. When you find your soulmate, you will learn that love isn’t perfect. Love encompasses every emotion, and the more you understand the complexity and flaws of your partner and of love, the more you will understand this.
13. Do not dwell on the past. Learn from your mistakes but don’t dwell on them. Remember that to be successful, you have to make mistakes. It is how you pick yourself up from these mistakes that determine the path of your future.
14. The people who love you the most are also the people who can hurt you the most.
15. If you want to succeed, you will have to use your elbows in life. You will have to overcome things and do things other people are too scared to do.
16. Patience, perseverance, and resilience will make you stronger. They will be your guides on the path to success. Be patient with your goals and never give up. Successful people got to where they are by pushing through when it seemed all odds were against them.
17. Life is not fair. Understand that, and deal with it. No one owes you anything.
18. Talent is useless without consistency, persistence, effort, and practice. If you don’t hone your craft, no one will do it for you. Don’t put your talent to waste. Use it and make the best of it.
19. You can’t make everyone happy. You cannot please every single person, so focus on pleasing yourself. Your happiness matters the most.
20. And finally, life is short. We only live once and tomorrow is never guaranteed. So make the best of your time on earth and never take it for granted. Love with all your heart, work hard, and never give up.