What’s more satisfying than recreating a very expensive celebrity look with a couple household knickknacks and a lot of garbage bags?
If you’re interested in stealing some famous styles for a lot less (and I mean a lot less), you should be following former “Buffy” actor Tom Lenk (remember Cyrus?), who has pretty much made it his mission to show you how to get a next-to-nothing version of these iconic outfits.
Here are some of our favorites…
1. Here’s Tom Lenk recreating Blake Lively’s casual morning look. The Gossip Girl star was caught leaving Good Morning America in this Oscar de la Renta dress straight from the 2018 Spring runway. The actress complemented the sequined column dress with a pushed back hairstyle, Christian Louboutin heels, and jewels from Lorraine Schwartz and Ofira. Lenk decided the best way to recreate this dress was to include a bag of Lays chips because Lively always “sLAY’s.” We couldn’t agree more.
2. Only Rihanna would be capable of making this cookie-monster looking dress look cool. The singer posted pictures to Instagram in the off-the-shoulder tulle ball gown, which she paired with sneakers and a pair of sunglasses. Tom Lenk was able to create a spot-on version using 2 plastic blue tablecloths from home and added black sneakers to his ensemble.
3. Probably my favorite Lenk creation, the former “Buffy” actor recreated one of the craziest red carpet looks of all time, aka Cee Lo Green’s Grammys look. To be honest Lenk’s version is so crazy I didn’t know if he was even actually in there. The actor used gold tablecloths, “wig head spray GLEWED” and of course, glitter.
4. An important night for the Oscar-winning actress, Reese Witherspoon’s HBO series “Big Little Lies” was up for 16 awards at the 2017 Emmys (it took home 8). Witherspoon wore a teal Stella McCartney blazer dress for the occasion. The actress completed the sassy mini dress with matching pointy-toe pumps and silver knocker earrings by David Webb. If you want to get the #LenkLewkForLess all you’ll need is a metallic party tablecloth.
5. Here Lenk recreated an epic look from a W magazine interview with Robert Pattinson. It looks like Lenk struggled with the orange turtleneck (a combo of tissue paper and orange fuzzy pillow), but he definitely nailed the hair. The most creative part of this look, however, would have to be the fact that he used a pink yoga mat to make the pink pants. #Nailedit.
6. Kendall Jenner, “Fashion Icon of the Decade”, is known for her chic street style. Lenk decided to take on one of these daring looks and could probably pass off as Kendall Jenner if someone wasn’t looking very closely. The “Keeping Up With The Kardashians” star stepped out during New York Fashion Week in an asymmetrical jean jacket and a fanny pack. Lenk copied this look using an old jean jacket, a camera bag and topped it off with sunglasses made from a yoga mat, all sans-shoes.
7. Lenk as one of Britney Spears’ many Instagram looks. The pop princess is doing fashion shows on her Instagram so often I’m surprised he was able to pick just one. Lenk created this red off-the-shoulder dress with ruffled sleeves using tablecloths and ribbons. Lenk completed the look using a Golden Retriever to stand in for Spears’ smaller Yorkie.
8. Lenk got some help to recreate this matching look from Aubrey Plaza and Elizabeth Olsen at the premiere of their new movie “Ingrid Goes West” – they even wore matching Sophia Webster heels! Lenk got as close to this look as possible by using trash bags and some Fudge Stripe cookies but unfortunately, failed on the matching heels.
9. “This Is Us” star Mandy Moore wore an orange sequined dress layered over a flesh-toned slip to the show’s For Your Consideration panel event in Hollywood. The actress complemented the look with a small, colorful clutch. Lenk used party curtains from Party City to recreate the dress and a print out of Moore as his clutch. LOL. Throw in those nail clipper earrings and this look is one for the books.
10. Who doesn’t love a good Celine Dion impersonation? The “My Heart Will Go On” singer is the queen of risk-taking street style. Lenk attempted this look from Paris where the singer was seen wearing a top with exploded sleeves and a gigantic bow, high-waisted pants, a Celine bag and statement sunglasses. The best touch to Lenk’s look is the fact that he was able to create sunglasses by cutting a row of duct tape in half – and they don’t even look that bad!
11. It gets better. Lenk wasn’t done recreating Celine Dion’s iconic looks because there’s just too many to choose from. The Instagram sensation wasn’t afraid of a challenge when he tried to imitate this head-to-toe snakeskin ensemble and the fierce pose on top of some stairs leading up to a private plane. While Lenk wasn’t able to find a plane for this photo, the actor was able to find a step stool. Instead of snakeskin, Lenk went with a complete newspaper look. The cheapest outfit you’ll ever wear!
12. If there’s one iconic look that’s difficult to imitate it’s Tilda Swinton’s. Lenk created this #LenkLewkForLess using trash bags and making quite the comparable pair of glasses with lowly pipe cleaners and safety pins (which doesn’t sound very safe, by the way). The best part of this look has to be the paper plate collar, though.
13. Adele’s green Givenchy gown that she wore to the 2017 Grammys. This is a pretty far stretch from Adele’s actual dress, but Lenk does his best to recreate this look – that received a lot of mixed reviews which the British singer quickly and bluntly shut down – using a green tablecloth, tap, paper straws and a shirt from the gap.
14. T-Swift’s casual street look in NYC. The “Look What You Made Me Do” singer wore a denim mini dress, pink crop top and studded black side purse as she strolled the streets of New York. Lenk took a very creative take on the crop top and used red plastic bowls instead. He also used a pair of jeans to recreate the denim dress and a belt that attached to a MAC shopping bag for the purse. Not bad.
15. Lenk bravely attempted to recreate the Beckhams’ look, which not many people would/should try to do. The Beckhams are known for being a fashionable – and extremely good-looking – couple. But Lenk does a great job of imitating David Beckham’s slicked back mane and tame facial hair. He also does a good job of recreating the star’s outfit using a lady’s bomber jacket and a notepad page. The Victoria Beckham lookalike does not appear as amused with her doggy bed and door snake sleeve ensemble. Maybe it’s the Kleenex shoes.
16. Kristen Stewart attended the Brady Center’s Bear Awards Gala in Hollywood wearing a ruched pink skirt with a floral underlay, a simple long-sleeve black crop top and strappy black heels by Giuseppe Zanotti. Lenk attempts to recreate this look using a rolled up black leotard, a white kitchen trash bag with a printed drapery panel on top and some black sneakers (looks like he got a little lazy with that detail). Also, Lenk is a little off with his silver fox pixie cut that’s supposed to imitate Stewart’s platinum blond short hair.
17. Lenk does an incredible job of recreating this 2017 Grammys performance look from the Queen B herself. The actor recreated Beyonce’s iconic look using a pencil crown with fake flowers soaked in glitter, earrings made from a very odd combination of lemon slices and CDs, and ribbon and paper plates for his neck accessory.
18. Katy Perry donned a bold look for a bold Vogue magazine cover. The pop singer wore a red dress and jacket with her new platinum blonde locks pushed back for this photo-op. Lenk did an admirable job of recreating this magazine cover using red paper and a shower curtain with witty text to match.
19. Actress Nicole Kidman was praised for making an appearance at the Lion premiere in Sydney wearing this ruffled blue Erdem evening gown. The “Lion” star completed the look with a sleek top knot. Lenk does a commendable job recreating this incredibly intricate dress using only pashmina wraps and some doilies.
20. “Westworld” star Angela Sarafyan dazzled in this daring white Celia Kritharioti gown with nothing but two long pieces of mesh on the sides at the Vanity Fair Young Hollywood party. It doesn’t seem to have quite the same effect on Lenk, who attempted to recreate this dress using a single pair of white tights. The dress is a little lacking but he makes up for it with flawless makeup.
21. JLO is known for her signature red carpet looks and smoldering gaze and the 2016 Golden Globes were no exception. The singer and actress veered from her signature look for a more demure but bold marigold caped Giambattista Valli Couture gown. Lenk attempted the nearly impossible task of recreating this look using some raincoats and tablecloths, with a pencil box that doesn’t exactly match up with Lopez’s clutch by Judith Leiber. The actor didn’t even bother trying to imitate her Harry Winston bling.
22. Lady Gaga is not a style icon that’s easy to replicate. Her fashion choices often include very outlandish, complicated looks that only the Mother Monster can pull off. Lenk gave it a decent try when he tried to recreate this look the singer stepped out in while promoting her music in London back in 2016. The actor stayed true to the look using two black belts around painted safety masks, a leather jacket around his waist and a hat made from a yoga mat.
23. Lenk got into the holiday spirit when he recreated this Kardashian sister look. Lenk used pipe cleaners, two packs of X-mas lights and some tin “FOYL” for his glamorous heels. Lenk had a friend lend a helping hand to recreate Kourtney Kardashian’s sleeveless black dress using trash bags, plastic tablecloths and lots of glue. The actor recommends everyone wrap their loved ones in some garbage bags this holiday season.
24. Gwen Stefani stunned at Glamour’s Women of the Year awards when she showed up in this gorgeous ombre Marchesa gown. Tom Lenk almost has us believing this look was easy with the top half of his #LenkLewkForLess version of this beautiful dress. However, the ruffled garbage bags and trash used for the bottom half of the gown pretty much gave away which dress is the thrift version of this look.