At one point all of us were young, awkward kids, trying our best to make it through puberty to the light at the end of the tunnel that was adulthood. Most people cringe when they look back at photos of themselves during puberty, but take solace in the fact that everyone goes through their awkward, cringe-filled phases as they grow up…even celebrities!
The famous celebrities we all know and love weren’t always full of glitz and glamour. They, like us, all had to go through the awkward years of puberty, and you’ll love some of the amazing transformations some of your favorite celebrities went through before they got famous.
Here are 28 celebrities before and after fame transformations.
1. Before Katy Perry got famous, she a recorded gospel record called Katy Hudson, which was released in 2001. In 2007 she was signed to Capitol records, and the rest is history.
2. Who would have thought that this little girl would grow up to be called the “Queen of All Media”?
3. If someone showed me this picture of a young Russell Brand, I would have never guessed that it was him. Besides the dark hair and facial features, they look like two completely different people!
4. I think Skrillex is permanently stuck in the awkward teenage phase…but I’ll admit, the look works for him!
5. It doesn’t really look like Adele had too much of an awkward phase. She more or less looks the same, wouldn’t you agree?
6. Is this real life? This would have given me a lot of hope when I was going through my own awkward stage.
7. Oh, the silly poses we used to do when we were young to capture the perfect selfie back in the day. I mean, there’s nothing cooler than being Zayn Malik and posing with a McDonald’s bag, right?
8. For some reason the fact that Taylor Swift went through her own awkward phase makes me feel better on the inside.
9. Besides the haircut, Maroon 5’s Adam Levine looks pretty much the same, except a bit more handsome and a bit less awkward.
10. It looks like MMA champ Conor McGregor has always had that million dollar smile.
11. Is anyone else just a little bit surprised that Lady Gaga wasn’t always a blonde? For some reason I just can’t picture her as a brunette!
12. Vin Diesel…with hair?! I never thought that I would live to see the day that Vin Diesel had a head full of hair. Little did I know, all I had to do was look up pictures of him when he was young.
13. This is not Tom Cruise’s finest moment, that’s for sure. This photo is actually a still from one of his first movies called The Outsiders, which was released in 1983.
14. I guess Matthew McConaughey always had that charming, friendly smile. It looks like his puberty years weren’t as awkward as some of the other celebrities on this list.
15. People like to say that Kylie Jenner went through a drastic transformation as she grew into a teenager, but if you ask me, she just grew up.
16. Besides the braces, Kendall Jenner more or less looks the same. She’s always had that natural beauty about her, though.
17. I guess Amber Rose didn’t go through too bad of an awkward teenage phase, either! Now I can say that I know what Amber Rose looks like without her signature bleach blonde hairdo.
18. With her long flowing hair, delicate facial features, and petite frame, I’m sure lots of people still mistake Ariana Grande for being younger than she actually is.
19. Even as a teenager, Beyoncé looked like the queen she is. I wonder if young Beyoncé knew just how much of a legacy she would have in the music industry.
20. Is it just me, or does a young Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson look like he could be someone’s police chief uncle?
21. Will the real Slim Shady please stand up? Although Eminem has changed his hair color multiple times over the years, I’m glad to see that he he stills rocks the blonde sometimes.
22. Maybe it’s just me, but young Harry Styles is a lot more adorable than older Harry Styles. What do you think?
23. I’m not sure where to begin with this…the hilarious hair cut or the old school glasses, or possibly even the fashionable turtle neck. Age really did wonders for George Clooney, don’t you think?
24. From nerdy preteen to full fledged rap star, Drake has definitely proven to us that age worked in his favor.
25. Snoop Dogg went from being a well put together student to a dazed and confused rap star. What do you think about Snoop Dogg’s transformation?
26. Not much has changed with Bruno Mars since he was a young child except the fact that he is now a wildly famous musician.
27. Do you think that young Jada Pinkett Smith slightly resembles Beyoncé, or is it just me? Either way, she still looks amazing even today!
28. A young Jane Lynch kind of looks like the gym teacher you had in high school who was always ready to shoot some hoops or play a game of scrimmage.