True love is hard to come by. These days, a large percentage of men and women who get married wind up divorced, and lots of people even refuse to get married for that simple reason.
Much like regular couples, famous celebrity couples go through the trials and tribulations most relationships go through as well. As a matter of fact, celebrity marriages and/or relationships are notorious for not lasting very long. The ones that do last prove to us all that when a couple’s love for each other is strong enough, anything can persevere.
Here are 12 celebrity couples that’ll make you believe true love lasts forever.
1. Meryl Streep and Don Gummer: Meryl Streep and Don Gummer got married in 1978 and haven’t looked back since. The couple has one son and three daughters.
Meryl commemorated her husband when she won the Oscar for best Actress for The Iron Lady in 2011 by thanking him: “First I’m going to thank Don because when you thank your husband at the end of the speech they play him out with the music, and I want him to know that everything I value most in our lives you’ve given me.”
2. Denzel and Pauletta Washington: This celebrity couple met each other in 1977 on the cast of a TV show called Wilma which they both starred in. The couple got married six years later in 1983.
“I just think that you have to work at it. Not give up on each other. It’s a commitment. It’s not all the honeymoon, it doesn’t last forever, so you work at it. And hopefully you’re good friends first, that might help,” says Denzel about marriage.
3. Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell: This dynamic duo met while they were filming The One And Only, Genuine, Original Family Band in 1968, but it wasn’t until 1983 that they got together.
What surprises most people about this celebrity couple is the fact that they never married. Could this mean that marriage isn’t the secret to everlasting love, after all?
4. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson: Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson married in 1998 and have been going strong ever since. The couple have two sons together.
Tom even converted to the Greek Orthodox Church (which is Rita and her family’s religion) before they got married.
5. John Travolta and Kelly Preston: This celebrity couple met in 1987 while they were filming The Experts. They married four years later in 1991 and had three children together.
Tragedy struck this couple in 2009 when their son Jett Travolta died. They have since had another son named Ben who was born in 2010. The couple has said that the birth of their son helped bring them together: “Certainly, having little Ben has been a beautiful kind of glue for us to re-bond after tremendous loss,” John said.
6. Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness: Not many people know that Hugh Jackman has been married to Australian actress and producer Deborra-Lee Furness since 1996.
Hugh even designed his very own engagement ring for Deborra.
7. Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith: This popular couple married in 1997 and have two children together, Jaden Smith and Willow Smith.
Jaden appeared alongside his father in The Pursuit Of Happiness, while Willow starred as Will’s daughter in I Am Legend.
8. Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick: Sarah and Matthew both performed at the Naked Angels Theater Company, which is where they met. They married in 1997, and the rest is history.
This celebrity couple has one son named James Wilkie Broderick. They also have twin daughters, Marion Loretta Elwell and Tabitha Hodge. The twins were born through a surrogate in 2009.
9. Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy: Felicity Huffman and William H. Macy dated on-again off-again for 15 years before they finally married in 1997.
When Felicity appeared on an episode of The Ellen Degeneres Show, she gushed about her love for her husband: “I just lucked out with that guy. He walks in a room and I go ‘ah!’”
10. David and Victoria Beckham: This ridiculously perfect couple has been married since 1999, and were even coined with the name of “Posh and Becks” by the media.
The couple has three sons and one daughter. Elton John is godfather to two of those sons.
11. Sting and Trudie Styler: Sting and Trudie Styler married in 1992 and have four children together.
The couple founded the Rainforest Foundation in 1989, which helps to protect the lands of indigenous rainforest peoples.
12. Oprah Winfrey and Stedman Graham: Oprah Winfrey and Stedman Graham got together in 1986 and haven’t looked back since.
Although the couple has famously never married, they were at one point engaged in 1992. The couple decided not to go through with it. “What I realized is, I don’t want to be married, because I could not have the life that I created for myself. I couldn’t do it,” Oprah says about marriage.