When you manage to encounter a celebrity you’ve dreamt of meeting for years, chances are you’re going to want to take a picture with them to cherish the moment forever. Usually, celebrities lead busy lives and your chance to capture a moment with them comes down to a single photo opportunity (especially for most of us not brave enough to ask the star for a retake).
In this single moment, there is way too much pressure for both people involved to get it right. But sometimes, the pictures that don’t turn out — which are just as common as the ones that do — end up making some pretty great memories anyways.
Whether it be a photobomb in the background, an unsuspecting addition to the picture, or the subjects themselves failing at being photogenic, here are 24 pictures of celebrity photobombs that are just so good because they’re just so bad.
1. This Imgur user posted this incredibly unflattering selfie with Nicolas Cage who she had ended up next to on a flight. “My friend posted this pic from her plane ride on her facebook. nic cage looks pretty rough…” one user captioned the photo on Imgur. It looks like poor Cage was woken from a very terrible and exhaustive nap (or maybe a coma) and was forced to take this selfie against his will.
2. We’re not sure how this fan selfie ended up happening and the singer himself offers no explanation. Maybe the fan is in the back (or maybe it actually is the bird) but it’s the falcon that is getting all the attention in this photo with Ed Sheehan, even upstaging the Thinking Out Loud singer himself. It also makes for the craziest photobomb one could ever hope for.
3. Twitter user @deadmau5 posted this crazy picture with Nicolas Cage, clearly showing the actor is not one for photo ops. The actor looks a little rough once again in this picture with a fan. The fan, however, said the actor was very kind, buying a bottle of champagne for him and his partner, then offering the fan his wacky glasses to wear for this incredibly funny and awkward picture Cage doesn’t look ready for at all.
4. A certain Harry Potter star decided to make this girl the photobomber when Daniel Radcliffe himself took a selfie on her phone, grinning for the camera and capturing the happy fan and several other fans who decided to jump in on the action. The Reddit user posted the picture with this caption: “So my friend was outside a Broadway show when this guy grabbed her phone to take a selfie with her.”
5. Sophie Turner is literally all of us when she realized Ryan Gosling was sitting behind her. The Game of Thrones star posted this picture to Instagram with a hilariously relatable expression and an unsuspecting Gosling behind her… either that or she was taking a very scary selfie and The Notebookactor was just in the way. That’s one photobomb I don’t think anyone would mind.
6. Another day, another Game of Thrones star taking a selfie. Here’s GOT star Peter Dinklage, who plays Tyrion Lannister on the show, being a good sport and managing a selfie with a very tall fan. The fan, who posted the picture to Imgur, captioned the post “Met him [Peter Dinklage] at the X-Men Days Of Future Past NYC premiere. I’m 6’6 so he decided to take a selfie with me when I asked for a photo. The result is awesome.” Dinklage even captured an amused photobombing-fan posing in the background.
7. In a Kanye West selfie that surprised absolutely no one, here’s the rapper looking less than excited in a picture with two fans. The best part about this photo, though, is not even West’s typical long face… it’s the fact that it’s Kanye West’s long face at none other than the Super Bowl! Not even something as epic as that event could get the rapper smiling.
8. When you’re a fan taking a picture with one of your idols, the man or woman you look up to professionally and artistically and basically worship the ground they walk on, all you can hope for is that you come out half decent. For this Reddit user, all the stars aligned when they were able to meet and take a photo with none other than Morgan Freeman. Their body, however, refused to cooperate and showed how nervous they were to meet the epic actor in this picture that involves a lot of armpit sweat. You win some, you lose some.
9. This Imgur user who looks eerily like Adam Sandler himself posted this picture with the 50 First Dates actor. “Adam Sandler flew me out to the premiere of “The Do-Over” after he saw my post here. Thank you, Adam, for the incredible experience and thank you Reddit for making it happen!” Sandler clearly has a good sense of humor both on and off the screen!
10. This Imgur user posted this picture with the caption “Selfie with Rihanna at the Superbowl.” Although getting a picture of the singer is awesome, her not so amused face definitely takes away from this fan picture. Note to self: Don’t try to take a selfie with celebrities at the Super Bowl. Like Kanye, Rihanna clearly isn’t a fan of getting interrupted when trying to catch the game!
11. Samuel L. Jackson gives us a reality check when one fan asked him how he really feels when asked to take a selfie. The Pulp Fiction star definitely didn’t hold back with this revealing expression. “As I snapped the selfie, I told Samuel L. Jackson to pose how he really felt about doing these kinds of things,” wrote the Reddit user.
12. “Sandwich shop offers Liam Neeson free food, Liam Neeson show up.” This is a situation that definitely doesn’t happen often. This sandwich shop put out a sign offering Liam Neeson free food and he actually showed up! Usually, it’s the fan hunting down their favorite actors for a picture, but this sandwich shop managed to bait the Taken star into coming on his own accord! Genius!
13. Can you even place this among other epic celebrity photobombs? I mean, aside from the fact that Tom Holland, the newest actor to take on the great responsibility that is the Spiderman franchise, is posing for a picture with co-host Ryan Seacrest on Live with Kelly & Ryan, so they’re not exactly “fans” per se, the other troubling detail in this picture that makes it a questionable fan photo are those terrible Spiderman poses that don’t even slightly resemble the actual web-slinging pose. Have they even seen a Spiderman movie before? It looks like Holland decided to take the polite route and not insult them with the legitimate spider symbol, opting to keep his hands out of the picture.
14. Anyone who has followed Johnny Depp and the successful Pirates of the Caribbean franchise knows how attached the actor is to his character in the films, Jack Sparrow. After creating the character using a lot of his own ideas and a medley of different people to inspire who the character would be, Depp has had a hard time letting go of the pirate, even in his real life. This Imgur user posted this selfie of Johnny Depp dressed as Jack Sparrow, captioning the photo “So Johnny Depp is walking around South East Queensland dressed as Jack Sparrow. Local police posted this selfie on their facebook.” Fans were so surprised to see the actor out and about in his Jack Sparrow costume that many initially thought it was a cosplayer but no, turns out Johnny Depp just really loves being a pirate, staying in character the entire time and even going to a school to visit the students and encourage them to start a mutiny.
15. Ah, the mistake that all fans fear when finally getting to take a picture with a celebrity. This fan attempted a selfie with Robert Pattinson and almost cut him out of the photo! Aside from the fact that the fan takes up three-quarters of the picture, it also looks like he was having some difficulty figuring out where to look. Maybe he should’ve just asked someone to take the picture for him.
16. This Reddit user manages to get Queen B herself to take a picture with him and decides to do a silly face?! The Reddit user, who captioned the photo “Friend met Beyonce in New Orleans, she said “Whatever face you make, I’ll make” may not have ended up with the prettiest celebrity selfie, but managed to get a pretty epic one with the Lemonade singer. Kudos to Beyonce for being this down to earth and putting on a silly face for a fan.
17. This picture went absolutely viral after two girls managed to get a selfie with none other than the Queen of England through a chain fence. A popular meme, among the list of best celebrity photobombs this one still holds up as one of the most, if not the most, epic photobombs every captured on camera. The best part is the Queen is even smiling!
18. To many X-Men fans out there, this is probably one of the best celebrity photobombs captured on camera. Here’s Hugh Jackman, also known as Wolverine, posing for a picture with some fans. But unbeknownst to them, good old Professor X (also in the film) decided to get in on the action and is seen posing for the photo with a cheeky grin in the background.
19. Another day, another awkward encounter between fan and celebrity caught on camera. Here’s one fan at Russel Brand’s book signing who left with more than just a signed book. Although I imagine she was excited at the idea of getting a kiss on the cheek from the celeb, it looks like Brand had a different idea in mind and we’re left with this incredibly awkward encounter that ends up way too up close and personal.
20. Another celebrity encounter, another fan unable to control their sweat glands. Here is Tom Cruise at a promotional event signing autographs for excited fans. One fan looks a little too excited, though, when he was caught sweating through his shirt after meeting the Mission Impossible actor. You have to give Tom Cruise credit for managing to smile through this one.
21. Talk about awkward. Hugh Grant looks like he was having quite the rough day, or just really didn’t want to stop for a picture, when he semi-posed for a photo with a worker. Between this celebrity photobomb and no picture at all, this fan photo is so bad I might have just chosen to forget the memory altogether and scrap the picture for good.
22. Can you say awkward? This fan took a picture with Bill Murray only to be left with this incredibly uncomfortable photo. “Here’s a pic of Bill Murray staring at my boobs. This is the only picture I have of him. Enjoy. Thank my aunt.” It may have just been unfortunate timing and the actor just happened to be glancing down when the photo was taken, but it still makes for a completely awkward picture you’re not exactly impatient to share.
23. This Imgur user posted this hilarious celebrity photobomb by the acting legend himself, Tom Hanks. The beloved actor is known for his incredible acting chops on screen and his nice-guy personality off. So naturally, these hilarious photos drew millions of views when the actor played along with a fan in a North Dakota restaurant who pretended to steal his glasses, slump against him, then pass out drunk into a pizza.
24. Photobombing — even celebrities do it! Here’s Russel Brand and Katy Perry prior to their incredibly awkward breakup and divorce through text message (seriously?) taking a picture together at an event. It could have been quite the adorable memory if it wasn’t for a much younger Bieber photobombing the picture behind them with a silly face. Nothing like ruining what would have made an awkward memory anyways.