A group of people gathered this past Saturday in a home near Cincinnati for a gender reveal party. Suddenly, two gunmen opened fire killing a woman and injuring eight other, police said on Sunday. The men came through the front door.
According to Colerain Township police Chief Mark Denney, the shooting lasted “maybe a minute or two,” and the suspects got away on foot. Denney told CNN that 22-year-old Autumn Garrett was pronounced dead at the scene.
The eight other victims included an 8-year-old, 6-year-old and a 2-year-old. All have suffered non-life threatening injuries according to police. The suspects are nowhere to be found and police are still searching for them. Here are 5 things you should know about the deadly mass shooting.
1. First things first. According to People, the shooting actually happened after the gender reveal party.
The expectant mother, 21, announced that she was pregnant with a boy according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.
The party ended earlier in the night but quite a few people decided to stay and hang out around the house, including children and adults.
2. As mentioned before, the police noted that the shooter fired rapidly, as if they wanted to see how many bullets they could shoot out, and then fled the scene immediately after.
According to police, “the entire shooting lasted maybe a minute or two.” One neighbor told local TV station WLWT “it was a pretty quick session; like they went in and unloaded as many bullets.”
Exactly six adults were shot, one fatally according to Denney. The rest were kids that were wounded.
3. According to a few news reports, a 22-year-old woman named Autumn Garrett was shot and pronounced dead at the scene.
Chief Denney has stressed at a news conference that they are still investigating whether or not a pregnant woman was shot in the scene and if she had lost her baby during the shooting.
4. It’s still unknown what exactly was the motive for the shootings. People are unsure whether the victims were targeted or not. Police are not releasing a lot of information.
Denney notes that it isn’t clear what exactly the relationship was between the suspects and victims if there were any at all.
5. Following the incident, at least four people had called 911, including both the witnesses and the victims, the Enquirer reports.
“I just seen two people walk by,” a caller reported to WCPO. They continued, “I looked outside, next thing I know they just ran in and just started shooting.” Hopefully, the exact cause of the shooting will be known soon.