As a lifelong DIY-er, nothing gives me greater satisfaction than turning trash into treasure. And, if you’re in the middle of a chilly Northern-Hemisphere winter, then there’s nothing nicer than staying cozy inside, crafting supplies at the ready. Here are 18 cool DIY hacks to brighten up your house (and your life)!
1. Got an old shirt you love that’s just not fitting your wardrobe anymore? Cut across it just below the armpits, stuff it, and sew up the top and bottom, and you have a beautiful new (old?) pillow.
2. Tarnished old forks make beautiful recipe card holders.
3. Old shutters and old doors get left on people’s curbs, sadly abandoned after their initial use is done. But, with a sanding and a fresh coat of paint, you can use them as a lovely, inexpensive headboard for your bed.
4. Old children’s toys don’t sound like the building blocks of a sophisticated DIY, but spray-painting plastic kids’ toys gold gives them an incongruous elegance. Once painted, you can cut them in half to use them as hooks, mount them on wood for a striking centerpiece, or even make smaller ones into fridge magnets!
5. Speaking of “kids’ stuff” that can be used just as easily by sophisticated adults, re-painting kids’ foam matting in more subdued colors makes it appropriate as a bathroom matt long after you’ve finished using it in the playroom.
6. If you’re going through canned food like a paranoid survivalist, try “re-using” rather than “recycling”! (Carefully) using a hammer and a nail, you can punch holes in the can to give you a nice pattern, then paint it and pop a candle in it for a gorgeous votive.
For more cool DIY hacks for your home, see ‘NEXT PAGE.’ And why not ‘SHARE’ on Facebook?