Sometimes we might think that our grandparents are kind of lame. They don’t understand what’s cool nowadays. Well, if these cool grandparent photos prove anything, it’s that our grandparents knew what ‘cool’ was before any of us.
These vintage cool pictures show that grandparents were young once too, and they liked to do everything we like to do. They partied, they got into trouble, and they dolled themselves up to go out.
We could all learn a thing or two from an awesome grandpa or an amazing grandma, especially the kind of timeless style and coolness exuded in these 20 cool grandparent photos.
1. Our grandparents used to party too, believe it or not. Sometimes they even dressed up to go to costume parties (and they looked pretty good, too).
2. Sometimes grandparents did things that were so incredibly brave that we can’t even comprehend them, like having their plane shot down over the ocean during a war.
3. Grandparents could make anything seem cool. This photo of someone’s grandfather in law school is so stylish, and all he’s doing is talking on the phone and reading the paper.
4. Women weren’t allowed to fly in the Air Force, so this person’s amazing grandma taught men how to fly on her own time instead during World War II.
5. Our grandparents still had a similar sense of humour, even decades ago. They probably would have been so much fun to hang out with at that age.
6. You may not even realize how tough your grandma really was when she was young. Like this woman, she may have been welding during the war.
7. When your grandparents want to tell you a story, you should always be willing to listen. They might be telling you about the famous people they’ve met along the way.
8. You might think you’re pretty tough, but it’s a pretty safe bet that your grandparents were quite a bit tougher than you back in the day.
9. Your grandpa might have even done something really crazy like carrying a tiger cub around on his back. He probably didn’t even think it was that big of a deal.
10. Are you even cool enough to have hung out with your grandparents back in the day? That’s the metric by which everyone should try and live their life.
11. If only we could all pull off styles like this. Unfortunately, only our grandparents were cool enough to make these outfits work. Dig that top hat!
12. We can try and be this hilarious in photos, but we’ll forever have to know that whatever we do to make ourselves laugh, our grandparents did it first.
13. Most of our grandparents were braver than we can even imagine. Even something like a wild bear wouldn’t throw off their composure. They were just that cool.
14. Our grandmas went through more than we can even comprehend. Being a woman in the 40’s couldn’t have been easy, but they persevered and stayed tough, like this army nurse.
15. Once again, someone’s grandma shows just how fearless she was. Posing with a full-grown African lion is not something that everyone gets to do in their lifetime.
16. This person’s grandpa was all smiles after winning a beard contest. If you’re wondering what his prize was, it was that awesome hat he’s wearing.
17. Our grandparents had the opportunity to do some pretty amazing things in their life, such as getting to sing backup for Old Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra.
18. Grandparents were the original hipsters. What more proof could you need than a picture like this? And yes, in case you were wondering, this photo was taken in Brooklyn.
19. You never know, your grandma could have been a model. Here, someone’s grandparent demonstrates Volvo’s 3 point seat belt the year it was introduced.
20. Just try to remember that your grandparents had entire lives before they knew you, and the things are did were pretty cool, so listen to what they have to say!