Many people have experienced something inexplicable in their lives. Whether it’s hearing voices, seeing something that isn’t there or even having a prophetic dream, we are all susceptible to the creepiest things. Often these events are hard to explain, and our rational brains have a hard time making sense of them.
Are we really experiencing these strange and sometimes otherworldly phenomena? Or do our minds just constantly play tricks on us? It’s hard to fathom that the creepiest things that happen to us may just be real, but it is just as difficult to try and explain and make sense of them.
These 16 stories of the creepiest things people have experienced may make you question your own reality. These true stories range from nightmarish to inspiring to just plain strange. Whether or not these odd stories have a rational explanation, it’s hard to deny that they certainly are hard to explain.
1. Reddit user guitarvibrations tells a story about hearing their dead mother’s voice. After hearing her voice shout “Can you hear me?!” their baby boy woke up and began crying.
2. Reddit user Bernadactyl woke up in the middle of the night. They found their front door open, and when they went to close it, heard movement on their front porch.
3. One of the creepiest things is being stalked. Reddit user Birchum’s wife went out with a friend and left her car at home. Birchum later found the padlock on their circuit breaker was cut. Someone had been watching them and learning their habits.
4. Reddit user nexaz was staying at a friend’s lake house, which had some old mannequins in the attic. The first night, nexaz saw the mannequins moving in the kitchen.
5. Reddit user gutenmorgenbaltimore had a late night visit from their fussy cat. Only upon waking in the morning, they were told the cat had died the previous night.
6. Regular visits from a crow made reddit user psychohistoric think their dead uncle was visiting. Upon greeting him, psychohistoric was sprayed with a hose that they had just been using.
7. While Reddit user Dinosaur_Llama was staying at a friend’s house, they saw a skateboard floating in the unfinished basement, After a moment or two, the skateboard violently dropped.
8. When they were babysitting their 4-year-old cousin, Reddit user fl2re put him to bed, but later heard him whispering from the hallway “They’re scratching my face.”
9. Reddit user rd5493 and his brother had a strange animal encounter. A deformed, almost human-looking dog wandered out from a neighbor’s yard and just stared at them.
10. Reddit user rightmeowplz avoided one of the creepiest things happening to them when they decided not to check a dark corner in their kitchen. Someone robbed them that same night.
11. One Reddit user was being tucked in at night by their parents. Though their house had a loud alarm system, they woke up the next morning in the backyard shed.
12. Having a prophetic dream is one of the creepiest things ever. One Reddit user describes dreaming of a smoke monster killed their father. They then found out their father, a smoker had a heart attack.
13. Having someone watch you in bed is among the creepiest things that can happen. Reddit user tersick recounts how they saw a man in a fedora staring at them angrily every morning.
14. Reddit user TylerTimoj thought he saw an old lady in his sister’s bedroom but found nothing. Later a neighbor called to say they saw the same old woman in the same room.
15. When they were sleeping at a friend’s house, Reddit user BracedPolecat saw a shadowy figure on the ceiling. The figure then climbed down and opened the bedroom door.
16. Reddit user RedGiant925 may have teleported. One moment they were playing a DS on the basketball court with their friend, and when they looked up again, they were at home.