Subscribe to our mailing list

Dog Almost Dies When Her Owner Uses Human Hair Dye On The Pet

An aesthetic makeover almost cost one dog her life after the previous owner used human hair dye to color her fur purple. Now, a Florida animal shelter is using this dog’s lucky recovery to warn other pet owners about the potentially fatal consequences of using products that are’t specifically manufactured for pets.

Violet, a 5lb Maltese mix, was brought to the Pinellas County Animal Services in Largos, Florida in dire straits. Human hair dye was used to color her fur purple which left her skin covered in burns, her eyes swollen shut, and her body limp. The shelter workers did everything they could but admitted that they didn’t think she would make it through the night.

The workers gave Violet fluids and shaved off her fur only to realize just how bad the damage had been. While peacefully anesthetized, the workers found that her skin had begun to slough off due to the toxic chemicals used in human hair dye. This meant her treatment was about to become even more extensive, including, pain medication, antibiotics, IV fluids, honey treatments, and scab removals.

For the next three months, the workers at Pinellas County Animal Services worked desperately to treat Violet. Despite their growing concerns for her well-being, Violet began to show her true colors and managed to make a miraculous full recovery.

“She found her voice and she never, ever, EVER, stopped,” Pinellas County Animal Services shared on Facebook. “She began to walk the halls, visiting each office requesting treats or hugs or gentle pats, always in the lead with our veterinarian in tow. It was clear — Violet was beautiful.”

Violet’s recovery wasn’t the only good news the animal shelter shared. After her story garnered attention on Facebook, the Maltese mix was adopted by a new owner and finally has found a forever home where she will be treated with nothing but love. However, the shelter also used their heartwarming post to warn pet owners about using products not meant for pets.

“Do NOT, under any circumstances, use hair color intended for humans on your pets,” Pinellas County Animal Services pleaded. “Chemicals in hair dye are TOXIC causing a wide array of external injury to your pet – possible burns, blindness and because an animal’s first instinct is to lick, it can cause poisoning or internal burns. Just don’t.”

If you found this story interesting, make sure to SHARE this post with all of your friends on Facebook. Click ‘NEXT POST’ for more stories like this!

Advertisement

More From Providr