Women in Hollywood have an unlimited supply of beauty specialists, makeup artists, hair stylists and photoshop to keep them looking gorgeous forever. Flipping through photos in magazines, seeing retouched photos of gorgeous celebrities can do a lot to our self-esteem. Luckily, we’ve seen a shift lately in the way that celebrities are portraying themselves on their own social media.
Famous women have been empowering themselves and others by sharing photos of themselves makeup-free. While many aspects of their lives aren’t relatable to us, there are a few that are, like taking care of a family or running errands. Wearing makeup just isn’t practical every minute of our lives and the following famous women have proved that in their Instagram posts.
Check out these 24 female celebrities who look incredible dolled-up, but aren’t afraid to show us who they are underneath it all.
1. Drew Barrymore: On her Instagram page, Ms. Barrymore has absolutely no shame in posting makeup-free selfies, and why should she? She’s beautiful. She’s a self-proclaimed beauty junkie and likes getting dolled up, but as a busy mom, also doesn’t mind going out au naturel.
2. Milla Jovovich: With piercingly beautiful eyes like hers, who needs makeup? The Resident Evil star is a natural beauty. She takes very good care of her skin and told Hello magazine she opts out of expensive in-salon beauty treatments for ones she can do at home instead.
3. Liv Tyler: Growing up with model mother Bebe Buell, she told Elle she learned about glamour at a young age. However, it was her prim and proper grandmother who taught her how to keep herself well groomed even when going natural.
4. Katherine Heigl: This 39-year-old actress doesn’t mind getting caught by the paparazzi without makeup on. She takes such good care of her skin, she ages at snail speed. According to her dermatologist, Jessica Wu who spoke to InStyle, it’s skin-friendly foods like yellow and green veggies that keep her looking youthful.
5. Kat Dennings: With skin like hers, what’s the use of foundation? While she’s usually known for a red lip and simple cat eye on the red carpet, 31-year-old Kat Dennings perfectly rocks the natural look.
6. Anna Kendrick: When she spoke to New York Times, she revealed she’s not a huge fan of fancy spa services. However, she does like a good facial now and again. She also “reluctantly” tries to take care of herself, she joked, by working out and drinking green juice.
7. Anne Hathaway: She embraces her natural beauty, always being snapped by the paparazzi running errands without a stitch of makeup on. She always looks stunning on the red carpet, all glammed up, but knows when it’s time to dress down and isn’t ashamed to look plain.
8. Portia de Rossi: As fans can tell by her Instagram feed, the only time de Rossi is ever made-up is when she’s at celebrity events. When she’s at home hanging out with her horses on the ranch she and wife Ellen Degeneres share, she keeps it natural.
9. Eva Longoria: This 42-year-old has always been admired for her youthful appearance. Her secret? Going makeup free whenever she can. “People think the trick to looking younger is makeup, but it’s skin-care,” she told Allure. “If you don’t have good skin, piling on makeup just makes you look older and much worse.”
10. Cameron Diaz: This makeup-free selfie was inspired by her book Longevity. She aims to embrace her own aging so that others can as well. “Let’s start celebrating and living an engaged life, and stop punishing ourselves for not looking a certain way,” she wrote in her caption.
11. Alicia Keys: The makeup-free queen! In 2016, she decided to take a stance to empower herself by totally quitting makeup. That’s right, she went on red carpets, to award shows and even on television totally bare-faced. In an essay for Lenny Letter she wrote, “I don’t want to cover up anymore. Not my face, not my mind, not my soul, not my thoughts, not my dreams, not my struggles, not my emotional growth. Nothing.”
12. Rebel Wilson: She shared this “just woke up” selfie after a long flight to Asia. She’s never been afraid to step out in front of the paparazzi without makeup on. She confidently greets photographers when she’s out running errands in sweats and no makeup.
13. Kesha: These adorable freckles aren’t something we usually see from her when she’s all made up. It’s a huge contrast to her earlier years in the business when she donned neon hair and wild makeup.
14. Laura Prepon: For this actress, it’s actually kind of odd to see her with makeup. Fans of Orange Is the New Black are used to seeing her bare-faced for her role as inmate Alex Vause. Nonetheless, she looks stunning either way.
15. Gal Gadot: She sure is a “Wonder Woman” alright. The mother of two had this natural selfie snapped after a sleepless night with her three-month-old son. I don’t know about you, but I could care less about whether or not she’s wearing makeup. I just want to know how to look that gorgeous after having zero sleep.
16. Olivia Wilde: She posted this “just woke up” selfie showing off her wild, slept-in ‘do. With her piercing eyes and gorgeous bone structure, this mommy of two really doesn’t need to do much to look beautiful.
17. Shakira: This Colombian beauty says her routine for flawless skin is actually pretty simple. “I don’t overcomplicate things much because I don’t have the time to go to spas and get beauty treatments,” she said to Hello. “What I do is I remove my makeup every night [and] use a little bit of Vitamin C serum.”
18. Lady Gaga: At the beginning of her career, a lot of us barely knew what Lady Gaga looked like. She was always overdone in wacky hair, makeup, and outfits. Today, she still glams it up for the cameras but isn’t afraid to show off her natural side either.
19. Sofia Vergara: She’s hands down one of the most beautiful 40-somethings in Hollywood. Here, we got a rare makeup-free selfie when she was ill with a fever. However, she was still thinking about makeup, “I just realized that 102 fever gives u the perfect shades of pink,” she joked in the caption.
20. Katie Holmes: Being in the business since her late teens, we’ve seen her go from a fresh-faced young adult to a full-on woman. Despite how great she looks without makeup, she does love a dramatic eye with glitter and pastels, she told StyleCaster.
21. Tyra Banks: She’s always been one to show off who she is underneath the supermodel exterior. This natural selfie is the “REALLY real” Tyra as she said in her caption. No filter, no retouching, and zero makeup.
22. Cindy Crawford: She’s been in the modeling industry since her teens and she’s traveled the world discovering beauty tips. She shared with W magazine some of her favorites; wear sunscreen every day, drink lots of water and exercise regularly.
23. Jennifer Lopez: “So this is what it’s like before the show,” she captioned her Instagram video. “I sit here, no hair, no makeup, no nothing.” It’s refreshing to see JLo’s natural beauty as we’re so used to seeing her dolled up on red carpets.
24. Gwyneth Paltrow: She’s one of the ultimate beauty and lifestyle gurus. She told Elle that on a normal day she doesn’t bother with any makeup. She also likes to keep her hair natural like we see in this photo, wild and wavy.