In America, we have a long history of doing things our own way. So when you look at our cuisine from the perspective of someone from a different country, you might be a little confused. Yes, string cheese is a thing and it can be awesome. There are lots of other things that we do a bit differently too, namely:
- Car sizes
When it comes to food though, the rest of the world sees us very differently. Even though our movies and entertainment have permeated into other cultures, the way we handle what we eat may take a bit longer.
Here are some things that the rest of the world just doesn’t understand (or eat):
1. Deep Frying – We’ve perfected the art of battering pretty much anything and sticking it in oil. Candy bars, bananas, burgers; you name it, we’ve fried it.
2. Coffee To Go – You won’t believe it, but in a lot of the world they don’t have Starbucks on every single corner. Many other countries don’t take their cups for a run, instead sitting and enjoying them.
3. Hawaiian Pizza – Well yeah, it’s called Hawaiian for a reason. In Italy they’d never put pineapple on their pie, but it has a special place on menus across the country here.
4. Chicken & Waffles – You can keep your crepes, give me some chicken and waffles. I guarantee everyone would try it and be surprised by how delicious it is.
5. Snow cones/Shaved Ice – People would understand if they’ve ever been to Albuquerque in the middle of summer. Bahama Buck’s is the perfect treat when it’s 100-degrees out.
6. Ice Water – We put ice cubes in our water year round, even in the cold states. We just like having something to chew on while we wait for our server to bring us that pineapple-covered pizza.
8. Mayo On Everything – The rest of the world doesn’t treat mayo like we do, putting it on sandwiches across the country. They’re missing out though, and their sandwiches must be so dry.
9. Canned Cheese – People don’t eat this everyday like the rest of the world thinks we do, but admit it, you’ve had it a few times.
10. Root Beer Floats – I don’t care what they say. Ice cream and soda go together like apple pie and American che–Okay they might not understand that either.
12. Jell-O – I mean it is kind of weird if you think about it, jiggling there on your plate. But we’ve always got room for it.
13. Flavored Coffee – PSL all day! We still enjoy coffee here, but why not add some delicious flavoring to it if you can. Even if you don’t like pumpkin spice there is something for you.
14. Grits – Even if you explain what grits are to people from other countries, they’ll likely just push it away. That’s fine – more for us.
16. Spam – Yes, once upon a time spam was very popular. Can the whole world get over it?