Chances are you’ve been in the familiar situation where you spot an inanimate object or something in nature that seems to resemble a face. Most combinations of two dots and a line register as this for some reason.
It’s like humans have built-in facial recognition software that activates whenever we see something that could resemble another human. Perhaps this dates back to ancient history when we had to be on the lookout for predators, or other humans.
Did you know that there is actually a word for this? Pareidolia is the strange phenomenon in which the mind reacts to certain patterns when they’re not actually there. This is why when we see the headlights and bumper of a car, we picture a face.
Check out these 16 hilarious examples of pareidolia. Once you see it you won’t be able to look away.
1. This looks like a little creature is about to get a nail hammered into his eye. The two smaller holes make the eyes and the little slot makes a gaping mouth. It looks like he’s saying ‘Noooo’
2. These ones look like vintage dolls if you look in the reflection of the pots. The elements reflect back and it looks like a little smiling face and the eyes even have ‘eyelashes’
3. I can see the inspiration behind the faces in the Disney movie Cars and its sequels. Doesn’t it look like this car is glaring?
4. This blanket of snow sure looks happy to be on this chair. It looks like a weird snow monster, but a friendly one. See how the two dots and D shape make the face?
5. Is this cactus rock climbing? It looks like it is, doesn’t it? I wonder if it naturally grew like that or if some cactus sculptor positioned it that way. Is there even such a thing as a cactus sculptor?
6. This tree looks surprised. See how all the knots make up the shape of the face? It’s hard to tell whether it’s a banana, coconut, or just a regular palm tree but one thing is for sure—it’s certainly in shock.
7. Looks like someone isn’t in the mood to go on vacation. That or he’s too small and is sad that he’s being left behind.
8. Imagine cutting open an orange and seeing this? It looks like this person has found a blessed or magic orange. It has the shape of a goddess inside. I wonder if they ate it.
9. This one is a little trickier to see, but it looks like Snoopy is sitting on top of his doghouse and looking at the moon. See the designs in the coffee swirls?
10. Eww. It looks like this olive is a little man throwing up some red gunk. I don’t think I would be drinking this martini.
11. Looks like an ordinary pair of turtles, but then if you take a look at the reflections it looks like a pair of dark eyed bearded men.
12. Can you hear the mischievous laughter? These slippers look like a pair of menacing villains from a cartoon. See the wide mouths and furrowed eyebrows?
13. What a rare sighting. This bird poop on a car window took the shape of a pigeon or another type of bird. Down to the fluffy feathers, eye, and beak.
14. This woman risked her safety to get this picture. She climbed down a muddy hill to snap this photo of a cookie monster tunnel off the banks of the Mississippi river.
15. The look on this dog’s face says it all. He thinks he’s found a friend! I wonder if he started barking at it or something.
16. This chicken looks like a grumpy chef that is tired of all the bickering in the kitchen. The wings look like little arms and it looks like he’s yelling at people to be quiet.