What separates humans from other animals is our innate ability to imagine. We can foresee things without actually doing them. We can look forward and imagine how things will be. We don’t need to touch a blazing fire to know that it will incite pain. We don’t need to jump on a piece of Lego to know that it will hurt. We can just use our imagination to guess how that might feel.
We may have grand notions of how some things will turn out, but life will always smack us in the face with reality.
Here are 16 pictures of people thinking things will turn out better than they really are.
1. You plan a romantic date for you and your lady. You have a trail of rose petals leading to a warm, embracing bubble bath. You expect it to be a glorious celebration of an anniversary but then as you both try to clamber in, you remember that your bathtub can barely fit you let alone you AND your partner.
2. Your raging hunger leads you to a sandwich shop that you have never been to. You see the enticing advertisement showing the tomato and mozzarella panini and already your mouth is watering. Not only does it look delicious, it’s also a mere 750 calories. You think to yourself “I can fit that into my daily caloric intake.” When it arrives, you see that there’s literally two tomatoes and a half melted mozzarella cheese. On the bright side: you have a lot more calories for the rest of the day now.
3. You drop your iPhone from a mere one and a half feet and the sound of glass breaking almost ruins you. When you turn it around to reveal the damage, you feel a shattering in your chest that is more definitive than when your first love dumped you. So, you decide to turn this moment of gloom into a moment of pride. You google ways to make this mistake a blessing in disguise. You stumble upon a Tumblr post that reveals this beautiful artwork. When you attempt to do this yourself, the result speaks for itself.
4. It’s New Year’s and you decide this is the year that you are going to get in shape. You take your scoop of pre-workout protein and avoid all hunger pangs. But when you get to the gym all you see are buff dudes groaning, skinny girls squatting 300 pounds and grandpas in way better shape than you. So what else is there to do but scroll through Instagram?
5. As young men, we all want to grow a thick mustache and an intimidating beard. But some of us simply aren’t blessed with the genetics to look part man, part bear. So 3 weeks into growing out a “mustache” you decide you no longer want to look like an adolescent Pedro from Napoleon Dynamite.
6. You put on a nice dress shirt along with your best blazer. Your hair is done up and hey, why not some lipstick to go with it as well? After all, it is your first day of work and the picture for your staff pass should hopefully last you a while. FLASH! You smile, almost sure that for once in your life you have taken a good picture. Then the photographer hands you the laminated employee card.
7. Either this is the epitome of false advertising or Tweety had a really long night.
8. Now I don’t know if the first picture is Photoshopped or Subway had their 8-time employee of the month make that sandwich but it certainly looks enticing. In real life, however, it never looks anything like that. At least try to get the lettuce INSIDE the sandwich.
9. As children, we beg and beg for a pet. And as adults, we can get any pet we choose. So we choose a cat because they clean themselves, are generally quite independent and MOST of the time they handle their business in the cat litter.
10. If only my smile turned me into a cute pup.
11. The only difference I see with this is that one has sunglasses on and the other is much more safety-conscious with the life vest AND the rain jacket. Other than that, the expectations and reality are pretty similar.
12. I can’t say that it’s this young man’s fault for wanting a cool haircut. The hairstylist definitely did a terrible job here. The picture on the left isn’t actually that bad. It’s pretty badass, in fact! It makes him look like a villain out of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.
13. I’m guessing the picture on the left is lipstick for clowns whereas the picture on the right is what happens when you’re a messy eater who loves vanilla dips at Tim Hortons.
14. In the defense of whoever tried to emulate the colorful pancakes, at the very least they got the enormous glob of butter on the top correct. But what I really want to know is: is that a beef patty in the middle of the pancakes or just a bruised and battered pancake due to the frustrations of the chef?
15. On the left: what happens when mommy peppers her newborn with kisses. On the right: what happens when dad tries to draw kisses on the newborn.
16. Every parent wants a cute baby picture to send out on the cover of the family Christmas card. But on the right is what happens when your baby wants no part of your childish games.