All jobs come with pros and cons, and hairdressing is no exception. On a good day, hairdressers will cut, style, dye, and blow dry their clients hair into beautiful hairstyles that leave their customers feeling happy, confident, and ten years young upon leaving. But, on those not-so-good days, hairdressers unfortunately deal with combatting customer hygiene that professional shampoo and their salon expertise simply can’t fix. Some nightmare hairstylist discoveries include:
- Dealing with greasy hair
- Knots and tangles
- And discovering lice
Given their unique aerial perspective while working, hairstylists can see the unseeable and the unforgivable.
Here are 8 hairstylist stories that might make you a little more self-conscious before entering a hair salon.
1. According to Reddit user pcbzelephant, more people need to scrub a little longer, or more often, behind their ears. ‘As someone who used to be a hairstylist,’ writes pcbzelephant, ‘please scrub behind your ears! More people than you think forget to clean the crease behind their ears and have yellow/white/ sometimes green gunk in the fold behind their ears! It’s really nasty and smells.’ Yuck.
2. ‘One time a woman brought her 8-year-old daughter in to get her hair done. The mother [was mean] but the little girl was the sweetest most polite little girl we’ve ever had. Unfortunately, it’s like the mom never took care of her hair! That poor little girl’s hair was so dirty and tangled it took three or four people working on her hair for almost three hours to get it untangled and clean enough to run a brush through it,’ writes Reddit user, leavingNYCtoday.
3. Hinky28 writes: ‘I once had to turn a lady away after she booked in for hair extension removal. The micro bonded type your stylist should tell you last three months max. Nobody told this lady. They had been in for seven months! There was a chunk of hair about six inches wide that was matted with bits of hair glue (not what we use) poking out. To me her options were shave it or cut it almost to the scalp.’
4. ‘My husband is a barber,’ writes another Reddit user, ‘one day he had a guy come in with dreads, wanting them all shaved off. He parted his dreads, looked at his scalp and noticed it was green!! He touched it and saw it ripple. Asked the guy when he’d last washed his hair, he replied ‘about 3 years ago!!’ My husband realized the guys whole scalp was covered in a layer of pus!! Sent him straight to A&E to have it drained and treated with antibiotics.’
5. According to LibraryLuLum her mother’s experience with the beehive hair trend in the 60s showed for a lot of lice, fleas, and cockroaches.
6. ‘Way back in the day,’ writes skivian, ‘my mom was a hairdresser. She told me a story of this guy coming in who had bird poop all over the top/back of his head. Guess he got pooped on and didn’t notice it or something.’ Or maybe he didn’t want to be the one who had to touch it.
7. When hair is oily enough to fry an egg: ‘ Long time ago but I had to wash and cut a teenager that hadn’t washed his hair in what looked like months…After his cut, I tried to wet his hair in the shampoo bowl and the water just ran off his hair because of the oil buildup. I had seen a lot during my years as a stylist but that was the worst experience,’ writes Reddit user bzookee.
8. ‘I had a woman come in one day who had hair halfway down her back. She just wanted a trim. I got her shampooed, into my chair and began combing her hair, and noticed a peculiar smell and what looked a but like dry scalp (but not quite). I looked a bit closer and the ‘flakes’ were actually little translucent nits. Lice eggs. I could see tiny black things,’ tells pixelmeow.