In the long history of animation, artists and writers have been slipping in a little humor for the adults even if the film is meant to be family-friendly. It gives a little something for the parents to laugh about while their children are bouncing along with the colorful landscapes and goofy characters. Films that notoriously slipped in a few extra moments that even the adults thought were over the line include:
- The Little Mermaid: The minister is a little too excited while Ursula and Prince Eric are getting married.
- The Rescuers: While the mice fly through town on the back of Orville, there are a few frames of a naked woman in the window.
- The Lion King: When Simba lays down on a cliff edge, the dust forms the word S-E-X in the sky.
Though those moments are too on the nose with their adult references, audiences have laughed along with many other children’s movies for their use of tongue-in-cheek jokes that will go unnoticed by any of the kids.
Here are some of the best adult jokes that have been slipped into family-friendly movies.
1. In the 2015 Pixar movie Inside Out, three of the emotions are talking about the possibility of bears in San Francisco when Anger (Lewis Black) states that he once saw a “really hairy guy” who looked like a bear. This is a little reference to San Francisco’s gay population, in which “Bear” is an oft-used descriptor.
2. The third movie in the Aladdin series saw the return of Robin Williams as the Genie, and he makes a little remark during the royal wedding. When they start to experience an earthquake, Genie quips “I thought the Earth wasn’t supposed to move ‘till the honeymoon.”
3. Apparently there is an NC-17 version of Mrs. Doubtfire out there that is filled with the improvisations of Robin Williams, but the final movie had a more family-friendly tone. That is, except for one string of euphemisms towards Pierce Brosnan’s character at the restaurant that includes “sink the soap” and “the horizontal mambo.”
4. The old Scooby Doo cartoon never did confirm why Shaggy would always have the munchies, but we always had our ideas. The writers of the live action/computer generated hybrid slipped in a little wink when they named the woman next to him on the plane next to him Mary Jane. Like, that’s my favorite name!
Click ‘Next Page’ to keep reading and don’t forget to ‘SHARE’ with your Facebook friends.