Subscribe to our mailing list

His Son Is Constantly Unwell, Find Out What The Father Uncovers

hissonisconstantlyunwellsippycup040617

New studies have come out that show that parents shouldn’t be too worried about sterilizing every surface that a child comes in contact with. In fact, babies that crawl around on the floor and then shove their tiny fists into their mouths have a lower tendency to get sick. The bacteria and germs that the baby unknowingly ingests actually send a signal to the body (and brain) that they need to improve the immune system to keep up with the oncoming onslaught of nasty germs and bacterium.

In fact, some doctors encourage that babies crawl and suck their thumbs which many parents may not be so accustomed to.

But when a father discovered the real reason why his son was always sick. He was beyond surprised.

In 2016, Marie-Pier L’Hostie and Penny Powell from Montreal decided to tell a story about their friend, Simon O’kanada via Facebook. The lesson should in their post serves as a dire warning to all parents with newborns. Simon, a father of a newborn, was constantly worried for his son because he was constantly severely ill.

Raainbow_Sippy_Cups_ec2a1675-3774-47a8-ab0c-67a23ce2b13a_grande

As he searched around the house for what may be the cause of his young son’s discomfort he found out that it was due to the anti-spill top of his sippy cup!

tommee-tippee-flip-cap-sippy-cup

When he cracked the lid open, he discovered that it was filled with mold! Not partially, or only slightly covered with mold (even though that would still be bad enough as it is) but completely full of it.

hissonisconstantlyunwellsippycup040617

The lid of the sippy cup was absolutely covered with this disgusting mold.

12079121_10153852528871422_802857741652896060_n

Mold tends to gather when there is too much moisture. From a lack of drying while washing the cup or from it constantly being sucked on by the toddler.

c283397777eaa262f1b7faa2456765f8

Moreover, if it is not dried properly there can also be a buildup of mold, that is why it is of utmost importance to dry all baby products with a clean, dry towel.

cars-tnt-sippy-1800

For children and adults alike, drinking or ingesting mold can have some dire consequences on the human body. Some of these include respiratory problems, allergic reactions and/or vomiting, just to name a few.

download (1)

When the picture of the moldy lid got posted onto social media, many mothers commented on how they too noticed the mold also despite washing it by hand or in a dishwasher regularly.

In order for parents to detect the mold, they had to open up the lid. But the problem is that the lid is not designed to be opened and had to be pulled apart using a tiny screwdriver or anything else that can act as a lever or crank.

532125_1280x720

Some companies have responded to this sentiment by providing an illustration and a diagram on how to properly clean the cups and its lids (including the valve mechanism.)

washing-dishes-mindful-today-stock-tease-150929_e52abf8d581474cfc0c784b5c49959f8

But parents have continued to show their disapproval albeit with the updates and brand new instructions. Parents are saying that mold can still be found in the anti-leak valve which is almost impossible to remove by hand.

nuk-gerber-twist-top-sippy-cup

Since then many sippy cup companies have offered to replace the valves with a transparent one to more easily detect the mold and they have promised to produce lids that are easier to remove by hand.

Mold-testing

Experts and doctors have recommended changing water bottles at least once a year and to thoroughly clean and dry them after use.

mc-526_1z

Furthermore, they say that it is of necessity to wash and dry each piece individually and to rinse the items out with soapy water or in a dishwasher.

maxresdefault

They recommend sterilizing the bottle regularly if your child is under one year old. Items such as sterilization tablets which dissolve in water or sterilization devices are extremely effective for this purpose.

image

A more economical method could be boiling the bottle in hot water for approximately 10 minutes to eliminate any mold.

download (2)

Advertisement

More From Providr