Unfortunately, people go missing all the time. We always hear on the news of kids and adults disappearing all of the sudden, without any reason. Sometimes people disappear for short periods of time, others for much longer. Nobody knows why or how it happens. And sometimes, as you will see in this article, famous people disappear too.
There are many stories out there of people’s disappearances, and in time some of those stories become famous. We all know the famous Black Dahlia story, where a woman was brutally murdered, her killer nowhere to be found even today. But what about disappearance stories that involve prominent historical figures? How many are you familiar with?
Or how about planes and ships suddenly disappearing while flying through the Bermuda Triangle? Scientists are still figuring that one out. In the meantime, while science sorts out the supernatural stuff, here are 6 historical figures to add to your list of people disappearing with no explanation.
1. Many of us know the name Spartacus. Living in Ancient Rome, Spartacus led the most famous slave revolt of that time.
Being only armed with kitchen supplies, he broke out about 70 fellow slaves and was able to defend himself against anyone who tried hunting him down.
Spartacus himself was never found. Some believe that he died in battle, while others believe he survived and snuck away back to his home.
2. Anastasia was the Grand Duchess of Russia. A lot of you may be familiar with the story from watching the cartoon film Anastasia. It’s been almost 100 years since her disappearance, but it’s still discussed and speculated upon by the entire world.
It’s believed that the entire royal family, including Anastasia, had been murdered, and their bodies dumped in a massive grave. The grave wasn’t discovered until 60 years later.
Anastasia’s body couldn’t be confirmed. Speculations emerged saying that the princess escaped the Revolution. Historians are still trying to understand what happened to her.
3. Most of us are familiar with the famous film 12 Years a Slave. The story was originally a book written by Solomon Northrup.
Kidnapped and sold into slavery in the south, Northrup eventually was saved and went on to write his book. He became hugely influential in the abolitionist movement.
While promoting his book in Canada, Solomon Northrup disappeared. Some say he was killed by anti-abolitionists, others say he was put back into slavery.
4. Harold Holt was the Prime Minister of Australia. He stepped into office in 1966 and disappeared on December 17th, 1976, while still in office.
His disappearance was one of the most sudden stories. One day he was at Cheviot Beach with friends and went for a swim and that was it.
Many believe he drowned, which probably makes the most sense. Others suggest that he may have committed suicide. There are a few conspiracy theories as well.
5. Amelia Earhart had a pretty impressive list of accomplishments: author, teacher, magazine editor, celebrity fashion designer and much more.
But it’s her mysterious disappearance while attempting a flight around the world that continues to intrigue everyone to this day. No one can be certain what happened, although there are a number of theories.
6. Ambrose Bierce is one of the most well-known writers in the United States. He was considered America’s greatest satirist in the 1880s.
While on his trip to Mexico to report on the Pancho Villa revolution, Bierce wrote to a friend that he was going to an “unknown destination” and then just vanished. Some believe he was murdered.
Click on the ‘Next Post’ to see something similar. Don’t forget to SHARE with your friends on Facebook.