Chemistry is a big part of making a film’s central couple believable to the audience, but sometimes that chemistry is all part of the acting as well.
On screen, no one would be able to tell there was any tension between the two leads. However, there have been many actors and actresses who didn’t see eye to eye during the filming process.
Here are 8 movie couples who managed to sell their relationship on camera, but did not get along behind the scenes.
1. We all know about Nick Cassavetes’ The Notebook . The director revealed that Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling did not get along on set. At one point, Gosling even asked Cassavetes if another actress could come in to read off camera with him. Clearly, the two worked out their differences as they ended up dating after the film’s release.
2. Mad Max: Fury Road had one brutal production in Namibia and Australia, which most likely brought out the worst in a lot of the cast and crew. Stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron were quite open about their clashing on set. For a set gift, Hardy added an inscription to Theron’s which read, “You are an absolute nightmare, BUT you are also [expletive] awesome. I’ll kind of miss you. Love, Tommy.”
3. Dirty Dancing has become something of a cinematic darling, but apparently, Patrick Swayze didn’t feel that way about his costar Jennifer Grey. In his autobiography, Swayze recalled Grey being difficult to work with and being unnecessarily sensitive to any criticism.
4. In the erotic thriller Sliver, romantic leads Sharon Stone and William Baldwin notoriously could not stand each other throughout production. During one of the film’s steamier scenes, it’s reported that Stone bit Baldwin’s tongue out of spite while kissing.
5. Teri Hatcher was not Pierce Brosnan’s ideal bond girl while filming Tomorrow Never Dies. “I got very upset with her,” Brosnan revealed to the press. “She was always keeping me waiting for hours. I must admit I slipped a few words which weren’t very nice.”
6. Hollywood heavyweights Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep famously feuded on the set of the Academy Award-winning Kramer vs. Kramer. It’s even reported that at one point, Hoffman slapped Streep in the face in order to get the best possible performance.
7. Ironically, on the set of I Love Trouble, there was actual trouble between costars Julia Roberts and Nick Nolte. According to multiple reports, the two didn’t get along. It allegedly came to the point that some of their scenes together were actually filmed separately.
8. The classic Some Like It Hot had some behind the scenes relationship drama between stars Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe. Curtis accused the iconic actress of being consistently late and failing to remember her lines. The reason behind their toxic chemistry was apparently due to their secret relationship falling apart.