No matter how you feel about reality TV shows, you can’t deny that the popularity of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is larger than life. Even after the show was cancelled in 2004 (for reasons we won’t get into), the cast continues to dominate the news cycle even today.
If you’re not familiar with TLC’s hit series, here’s a primer: it follows the life of Alana “Honey Boo Boo” Thompson, a child beauty pageant contestant, and her hilarious family.
The cast mostly consisted of her mother, June “Mama June” Shannon, her dad, Mike “Sugar Bear” Thompson, and her three sisters: Lauryn “Pumpkin” Shannon, Jessica “Chubbs” Shannon, and Anna “Chickadee” Shannon.
Now that you’ve got the basics down, here are some facts about Mama June Shannon, including her incredible physical transformation in the new show Mama June: From Not to Hot, where she received a shocking makeover. Stick to the end to find out how much weight she lost!
1. She’s 37 years old and became a grandmother at 32. Her eldest daughter, Chickadee, had a baby when she was 18 years old.
2. She’s legally blind. When she was younger, she suffered from cataracts that were left untreated.
3. Every one of her children has a different father, making them each other’s half siblings. Sugar Bear is Honey Boo Boo’s father.
4. Her nickname is coupon queen.
5. She comes from a very small town. The population of McIntyre, Georgia is only 650 people (as of 2010)! It seems shocking if you’ve lived your whole life in an big urban area.
6. She’s afraid of mayo. You might have heard of people being afraid of unusual household items—well, Mama June is one of them! She’s tried hypnosis to get rid of it but it didn’t work.
7. She’s worth $1 million. According to Celebrity Net Worth. That estimate might be lower or higher than the real numbers!
8. She is no longer in a relationship with Sugar Bear. He remarried to another woman after the relationship with Mama June couldn’t be repaired.
9. Her second phobia might be marriage. She’s gone on the record to say she never wants to get married. In an interview with US Weekly she said, “[Marriage] and June does not go in the same sentence.”
10. Her favorite prank is to “crop dust people.” During an episode of the show she said she likes to do it in an elevator. Crop dusting is a term for letting out some wind while walking away.
11. She’s rarely seen without socks on. She said during the show that she has something called “forklift foot” due to an accident. Because she’s self-conscious of what that looks like, she keeps her socks on.
12. Her new show, Mama June: From Not to Hot, premiered recently. The first episode was viewed by over 2.3 million people. It was the network’s (L+3) most viewed premiere recorded in their history.
13. Mama June’s new series follows her after her separation from Sugar Bear. It shows her as she gets plastic surgery, and makes some diet and lifestyle changes with the help of trainer Kenya Crooks.
14. Even though viewers of the show will have to wait until the seventh episode of the show to see her complete transformation, she’s already appeared in public to reveal her new size 8 figure.
15. The show revealed that she began with a weight of over 460 lb and by the end of it, she was down to 211 pounds (her goal is to be a size 4). The show begins by showing her undergoing the life-changing gastric bypass surgery.
16. Her daughters Alana and Lauryn have joined her in the new lifestyle changes both to support their mother and to get started on a healthier life for themselves.