A melee weapon is any type of weapon which is used in hand-to-hand combat. The term comes from the French word “mêlée,” which means a brawl or a fight. There are many different types of melee weapons, some of which include spears, swords, knives, axes, hammers, clubs and more.
Regardless of the type of weapon, melee weapons can often be deadly and dangerous, even to the person who is using the weapon. Some melee weapons are controversial while others have significant history behind them.
Here are 10 of the most dangerous and deadly melee weapons in the world.
1. The Seven-Branched Sword was a sword that was given to the king of Baekje around the year 372. The blade of the sword is 65-75 centimeters long.
The Seven-Branched Sword has six long branched spikes that form out from the main blade. It is a very dangerous and deadly weapon.
2. The Zulfiqar scimitar is a type of sword which was used by an Islamic leader named Ali ibn Abi Talib. The sword is double edged with two prongs at the end of the blade. The word Zulfiqar is Arabic for “cleaver of the spine.”
The sword is said to have been given to Ali ibn Abi Talib from the prophet Muhammad. There are several different versions of the Zulfiqar today, and these swords are an important symbol for the Islamic faith in different parts of the world.
3. The Honjo Masamune was one of the finest Japanese swords ever created and was even named a Japanese National Treasure in 1939. The sword was made by legendary Japanese swordmaker Gorō Nyūdō Masamune, who is considered to be one of the greatest swordsmiths to have ever existed.
The sword was passed down to different Shoguns for a large number of years before it disappeared in 1946. It is said that the sword was given to a man named Sergeant Coldy Bimore in 1946, but historians have not been able to find any record of this man. The sword is still missing today, and it is considered to be one of Japan’s most historic and important artifacts to have gone missing.
4. The Dark Ops Interceptor is an incredibly deadly weapon which spans 14 inches in length and is made of stainless steel.
This knife is considered an extremely dangerous and deadly weapon and is also partially serrated.
5. Antler Brass Knuckles were deadly weapons with crescent horn antlers which were used to pierce through the skin of an opponent.
This weapon was dangerous to not only an opponent, but also the user as it was very easy to accidentally pierce your own body while using the deadly weapon.
6. The Chakram is a type of throwing weapon which originated in India. It is a circular disc which has a razor sharp outside edge and can range from 12 to 30 centimeters in diameter.
The Chakram is thrown at opponents at long ranges. Although it is for the most part used as a throwing weapon, it can also be used as a weapon in close range.
7. The Lantern Shield was used during the Italian Renaissance. It is known for its use in nighttime duels. The shield is often referred to as the Swiss army knife of weapons because it can be used in several different ways.
The shield has an assortment of attachments, some of which included blades, spikes, or even lanterns. The shield got its name because of a small hook attachment on it which was used to fasten lanterns, possibly meant for opponents who would fight or duel at night.
8. The Swordbreaker was used in the late Middle Ages. This deadly weapon has a large dagger with grooves cut onto one side.
The grooves along the side were meant to trap an opponent’s sword and break the sword in two.
9. A Cestus (or Caestus) is an ancient glove which was used in battle during Roman times. The battle glove was often used in boxing matches and was made out of leather straps which were fitted with blades or even spikes.
These deadly gloves were used as boxing weapons in gladiator matches. Roman gladiators who used this weapon were typically slaves, and the fights often ended in death. It is said that in 393 AD, cestus-fighting was abolished because of its sheer brutality.
10. The Microtech Jagdkommando is a controversial knife with a unique and deadly blade. The blade on this deadly knife has 3 razor sharp edges which twist upward.
Because of the shape of the blade, it is often considered inhumane to use this knife because of the pain it could cause in the event that it is used.