Anime is a growing form of entertainment. There are countless movies, series, as well as the manga that originated for fans to enjoy. There are classic series such as Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z which many children from the 90’s grew up with, and then there are more current popular anime such as Attack on Titan and One Punch Man. Other popular titles include
- Death Note,
- One Piece,
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
One of the best parts about the anime genre is that there is something for everyone. Whether you want to watch something action packed or if you prefer a romance—there are hundreds of titles to choose from.
This means that if you’re looking for a twisted and disturbing anime, you’ll be able to find that too. Some of these shows feature dark and even horrific topics. They have the freedom of animation but also the depth and storytelling skills of a live-action. When things get scary or disturbing, it can be pretty effective. In case you were wondering, here are the top ten most disturbing moments that have happened in anime. Some of them include torture and even death.
1. Fullmetal Alchemist: In what is regarded as one of the worst scenes in anime, brothers Edward and Alphonse were already on a disturbing quest, and things only get worse when they meet Nina Tucker in episode 6. The brothers are attempting to find a way to get Alphonse’s body and Edward’s arm and leg (it’s a long story) so they decide to meet the alchemist who has been known to create life.
They meet him and quickly befriend his adorable daughter Nina and her dog Alexander. After talking with the alchemist and learning that his title is at risk they make the shocking discovery that he used his Nina and Alexander to create a talking chimera. At first they are impressed by his creation until the creature speaks directly to Edward and he realizes what has happened. What’s worse is Edward also discovers that the alchemist had done the same thing to his wife years ago. Both the chimera and its creator end up being killed in the same episode. Needless to say it’s not a favorite of the fandom.
2. Fate/Zero: Caster is already pretty creepy with his strangely large eyes and desire to kill, but that doesn’t make this scene any less chilling. After confronting a young boy and appearing to let him go, he ends up killing him in a brutal and terrifying way.
After summoning a serial killer and letting a captured child get away, he then attacks the child with a series of tentacles, ripping him apart. All that can be heard is the shrill screaming of the terrified child.
3. Berserk: This dark fantasy manga is filled with terrifying beasts and demons for the swordsmen to fight off and one of those creatures includes these demonic-looking horses with large terrifying heads. After trying to escape on one, thinking it was a regular horse, a woman realizes that it has become possessed by an evil spirit. The horse that attempts to attack and abuse the women in a sickening manner.
Thankfully it doesn’t go very far before Guts lashes out and dissects the beast in a fit of rage. It’s understandable that demons can be terrifying and disturbing but this is a bit much.
4. When They Cry: Torture is a form of entertainment in this murder mystery anime. The town is shrouded with death and full of uncomfortable scenes because everyone is losing their mind. In this particularly gruesome scene, Shion is forced by her twin sister Mion to put her fingers into a device that rips off her fingernails.
Possibly possessed by an unknown force, Mion watches with a blank expression as her sister suffers. What makes this scene even more disturbing is the amount of people in the room. They appear to be an audience and many of them seem eager to see her tortured.
5. Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor: Although this scene isn’t the goriest on the list, just the thought of this torture device is enough to send chills down your spine and have you biting your nails. The plot surrounds the gambling and debt habits of Kanji as he tries to pay off a large loan. Even though he doesn’t always make the best decisions, no one deserves the amount of pain he suffered.
In an extremely uncomfortably scene, Kanji is caught trying to free himself from the financial imprisonment and ends up at the hands of the manager. Kanji is pinned down by several other men and a terrifying device is used to insert a needle under his fingernail. Although there’s only a little bit of blood, the pain looks unbearable and would make anyone cringe.
6. Akira: This popular Japanese science fiction anime from 1982 follows teenage biker Tetsuo Shima. It has become a cult classic. The anime is set in the future and depicts the city of Tokyo with a cyber-punk style. During a scene when Tetsuo is hospitalized, he begins to suffer from severely realistic hallucinations and finds himself trapped in a living nightmare.
Toys in the room begin to move on his pillow. Before he can catch them, they become over six feet tall and begin to ooze strange substances. Whether they’re trying to attack him or drown him, the whole thing is unsettling. The room begins to fill with liquid and. Just as he begins to drown, he cuts his foot on glass which makes the hallucination stop. He then sits and pulls the glass shards out of his foot while the horrific animals seem to get scared.
7. Hellsing Ultimate: Seras Victoria didn’t have the best childhood. As if dealing with vampires, ghouls, and other creatures wasn’t enough, Seras also had to suffer through a horrid and realistic flashback where she relives the horrendous events of her past. When confronting a Nazi vampire, he ends up trapping her in an illusion.
When she was a child, her parents were shot and killed by thugs. Seras witnessed it all while hiding in the closet. In a fit of rage, she stabs one of the men in the eye with a fork only to be shot by the other man. As she lays helpless on the floor, she is forced to watch as the men abuse her mother’s lifeless body. Living through this once was probably damaging enough. I couldn’t imagine having to go through it again.
8. Elfen Lied: Watching someone get killed is pretty awful, even if it’s not real. Watching a puppy get killed is equally as awful. This anime focuses on Diclonius, a mutated species that resembles humans, but feature horn-like additions to their skull. Bullied, lonely, and constantly battling prejudice for being a Diclonius, Lucy makes friends with an adorable puppy. All seems well until her bullies decide to murder the dog in front of her eyes.
The boys take the dog from her and while one of them holds her back, the other two proceed to bash it to death with a vase. They are wearing sick grins on their faces during the ordeal. After the dog has been killed, Lucy lashed out and killed one of the boys in a bloody rage and the whole thing is disturbing.
9. Blood-C: Some people may be familiar with the concept of giant monsters running around eating people because that is a large plot point of the popular series Attack on Titan. But what if the titans were giant multiplying bunnies? In this supernatural thriller, Saya protects a village from terrifying creatures. In one scene, a seemingly cute pink rabbit creature terrorizes the town.
When Saya splits one in half it quickly mutates into two before splitting off into dozens of the creature. They run through town eating countless people by impaling them with their fingers, draining their blood, and even blending hundreds of them, resulting in a gory display.
10. Tokyo Ghoul: In this uncomfortable scene, a college student who became a half ghoul named Kaneki is captured by a ghoul named Yamori who uses a Jason disguise. In attempt to see how far he could push Kaneki, he puts him through a series of gut wrenching torture tests.
With Kaneki bound at the wrists and blindfolded, Yamori proceeds to torture him using a set of gruesome tools, forcing a centipede into his ear, and killing two people right in front of him. As well as having to watch these horrifying scenes the viewer also has to listen to the screams of absolute pain and horror coming from Kaneki.