No matter where you’re getting a tattoo on your body, having a barred needle grouping push ink into the skin isn’t going to be the most comfortable experience. However, there are some areas of the body that are more excruciating to get tattooed than others.
If you ask anyone who has a collection of tattoos on their body, they’ll tell you which one was the most painful to endure. While some opinions may vary, there are certain places on the body that are naturally more sensitive and will make the buzzing of the tattoo gun all the more agonizing.
Here are the top 8 spots that are the most painful places to get a tattoo.
1. Joints. Ankles, knees, and elbows are not only bony areas of the body, they also have connecting nerves, which makes a tattoo gun piercing over them an unpleasant sensation, to say the least.
2. Spine. The spine serves a number of purposes, one being protecting the spinal cord and nerves as they branch out to all other parts of the body. Naturally, having a needle constantly poking at this area will result in a widespread pain.
3. Inner Arm. The ulnar nerve and median nerve, two of the three main nerves in the arm, run directly over the inner elbow. When these nerves are hit with a tattoo needle, the pain radiates throughout the arm.
4. Neck. There’s a total of 20 major nerves in the throat, neck and clavicle region, which makes the area quite an excruciating place to get a tattoo. The back of the neck to the side is said to be the least painful area of the neck, but the front throat area is said to be significantly more unbearable.
5. Head/Face. There is little fat on most of the head and face, which means a tattoo gun needle is much more likely to hit bone. On top of the uncomfortable sensation of your skull-rattling, the head is hope to 12 pairs of cranial nerves that connect the brain with the head, neck, and trunk. These nerves are also responsible for your senses, including eyes, ears, nose, and taste buds.
6. Hands & Feet. Due to the fact that every major nerve in the body comes to an end in the extremities, hands and feet are incredibly painful places to get inked. These extremities are sensitive areas and also used the most, which means these painful ink jobs tend to fade away much quicker than anywhere else.
7. Groin. There are a lot of nerves in the genital area, which work to deliver blood flow, register stimulation, and aid in procreation. Unsurprisingly, this ultra-sensitive area is agonizingly painful to get tattooed.
8. Rib cage. The skin around the rib cage is extremely thin and sensitive, which can amplify the sharp scratching sensation of the tattoo gun. Many agree that the rib cage is the most painful spot to get a tattoo also because of how close the needle is penetrating to the bone. This can cause a rattling sensation, which only increases the level of discomfort.