Men or women who have intimate relations with a minor are perhaps some of the worst types of criminals there are. What’s worse is when the person committing the offence is a teacher.
Luckily, most teachers do not get away with having these kinds of relationships with their students, and those who are caught usually suffer lengthy prison sentences.
Here are 10 teachers who slept with their students.
1. Carly McKinney. She was was a first year math teacher in Colorado. Although it has never been officially proven that she slept with one of her students, rumors began circulating around her school after her inappropriate Twitter account was revealed.
McKinney regularly posted pictures of herself smoking illegal drugs. She even posted half-naked and extremely suggestive pictures of herself onto her Twitter account. After her young male students began commenting on her racy photos, she was given a brief suspension and was ultimately let go from her teaching position.
2. Sarah Jones. She was a former cheerleader who taught at a Kentucky high school for several years. Although she was married, it was soon revealed that she was in a relationship with a 17-year-old student.
In 2013 Jones was charged with having unlawful relations with a minor. She went to the national media to defend her relationship with the young boy. During the trial, text messages revealed that she had told the boy she had been in love with him since he was 14 years old. Jones took a plea and received no jail time. She divorced her husband and became engaged to the boy in July 2013.
3. Lindsay Massaro. She was a student teacher and college senior studying to earn her teaching certificate in special education. She taught 8th graders in New Jersey.
In 2011, a father of one of the 15-year-old students she taught claimed that his son was having an affair with the young teacher. Massaro was arrested and was convicted of second degree sexual assault. She received three years in prison and is now a registered sex offender. She will have supervised probation for the rest of her life.
4. Michelle Preston. In 2011, nude photos of married teacher Michelle Preston began circulating around her Kansas high school. The police were notified of the photos, and upon questioning Preston she admitted that she had had intimate relations with at least two of her students.
Preston was charged with unlawful relations with a minor. Because the two boys she had slept were 17 and 18 years old, she was only sentenced to 36 months probation. She was registered as an offender but had the record wiped when her probation ended. At the trial, the judge said that if her victims had been 16 or younger, the charges would have been much more severe.
5. Pamela Rogers. In 2005, 27-year-old basketball coach Pamela Rogers began an affair with a 13-year-old student which lasted three months. Rogers was sentenced to 270 days in county jail and an 8 year suspended sentence.
When Rogers was out on bail, she texted the boy nude photos and explicit videos from her father’s cell phone. Her probation was revoked and she was slapped with a 7 year prison sentence. In 2007, she was sentenced to an additional 2 years in prison for sending nude photos to the boy from prison again.
6. Heather Daughdrill. She was a teacher in her late 20’s who met a boy at a bible camp in Louisiana and began to have intimate relations with him.
The boy was only 13 years old. She would often pick him up from school to sleep with him. She was sentenced to five years in prison, but only served one year in jail as four years of the sentence were suspended.
7. Brianne Altice. 36-year-old Brianne Altice was a teacher at a Utah school. She slept with 3 students who were 16 and 17 years old. Altice was charged 14 felony charges when the crimes were discovered.
While Altice was on bail, she once more slept with her student and was sentenced to 2-30 years in prison. At a parole hearing in 2016, she claimed that she deeply regretted what she had done and didn’t realize at the time that what she had been doing was wrong.
8. Debra Lafave. In 2004, a 14-year-old boy from Florida admitted that he had been having intimate relations with his 24-year-old teacher Debra Lafave.
The judge offered Lafave a plea deal, which was 3 years house arrest and seven years probation with no prison time.
9. Shelley Dufresne. She was a 33-year-old teacher in a Louisiana high school. She slept with a 16-year-old student over 40 times. What’s worse about this crime is that a fellow teacher, Rachel Respess, knew about the relationship and let Dufresne and the boy use her apartment. The trio also participated in numerous explicit activities with one another.
Shelley was the daughter of a well known judge, and because of this it was very difficult to find a judge who would try her. Eventually a judge came out of retirement to try her, and she was given a 3 year deferred sentence under the condition that she would seek mental health treatment. Respess is facing up to one year in jail.
10. Alexandria Vera. She was a Houston teacher who was charged with sleeping with her 13-year-old student. What’s even more disturbing about this story is that the boy’s parents apparently knew about the relationship and had no problem with it. Vera even became pregnant with the boy’s child before getting an abortion.
Soon, the police found out about the crime and she pleaded guilty. She received a 10 year prison sentence.