As children (and even some adults nowadays) most of us tend to have a legitimate fear of the dark and the night. While many millennials tend to be night owls, most people usually sprint up the basement stairs after turning off the lights or use a night light up until adulthood. But is this fear a part of human evolution or is it just the human mind playing tricks on us?
The fear of the dark and the night is termed nyctophobia. While some brave souls will claim that they don’t fear anything, these pictures are bound to prove them wrong.
Here are 20 photos that will leave you even more scared of the dark (or ignite a fear you didn’t know you had):
1. Sometimes words can be scarier than an actual image itself. Who wrote that there? Why couldn’t they just invest in a biology textbook to find out how the human body works?
2. I always thought clowns could swim but I guess this fella just didn’t make it. Imagine seeing this and realizing you now have to switch jobs and never go fishing again.
3. This door isn’t just closed sometimes, but it needs to kept shut at ALL TIMES. And the door looks to be made of a dense metal. I guess it’s there to hold some giant beast back.
4. Either this person took a picture of them finishing digging a grave or they chanced upon it.What happened to the body that was supposed to be in there? Actually, don’t answer that.
5. This Slenderman-looking thing sure looks scary, but he would be much more intimidating if he was wearing a pair of pants.
6. Apparently this is a picture of an abandoned hospital. Abandoned hospitals are scary enough, but to see just ONE illuminated room? That’s just straight up freaky.
7. What kind of an institution would hire employees of THAT nature? Real or not, if you saw this in person you’d probably have nightmares for days.
8. Who doesn’t like to be embraced by a loved one? Everyone likes a hug, right? Well, not when there’s giant ominous writing pointing to an even more secluded building.
9. This person decided to dress up as a clown in the woods to scare some innocent hikers. How ironic would it be if a real life Sasquatch decided he wanted a new friend?
10. This is the reason why kids (and myself) flee up the stairs whenever we leave the basement.
11. How was the photographer able to get ALL of the sheep’s attention? Was it a human taking their picture or something else that grabbed their attention?
12. Besides the fact that sharks are man-eating beasts, who in their right mind would go out boating in the middle of the night in an opaque lake or river? That’s bravery right there.
13. This dark tunnel leading to what appears to be an abyss is scary enough as it is. The drawings of the clowns on the wall only add to the ‘nope’ factor.
14. This staircase that leads into pure darkness is pretty creepy. But upon closer inspection, there seems to be a ‘mass’ or some sort of body lying near the foot of the steps.
15. My first question (out of many) is: Who took this picture? And second, this baby is about 100 times braver than I am.
16. Where is that light coming from? How was this picture taken? Who would go out in the sea at that time? And how did that writing even get up on there? So many questions.
17. If someone was repeatedly banging at your door, and you go to look in the peephole and see this image… what would you do?
18. They say a scare is good for you every once in a while. But I don’t think descending down those stairs would do me any good. I guess that’s why it’s fenced off.
19. Here’s a hallway full of dimming lights. That sounds like a recipe for a horror movie.
20. How does that even work? Why hasn’t water filled it up? And why is there a staircase leading down it? Either way, I do not want to find out.