It seems within the last couple years or so, we’ve lost some of the greatest celebrities of our lifetime.
As the circle of life continues there are other many notable figures in history that have left us. Some recent, some old. It’s very rare that since the dawn of the camera, we can capture the final moments or the final appearance of some of the world’s biggest celebrities.
The following 24 photos, were captured from the final moments, days, and public appearances of some of the greatest celebrities and figures of our time.
1) Freddie Mercury: The greatest rock legend of time, Freddie Mercury died on November 24th, 1991 in Kensington, London, in the U.K. His official cause of death was due to Bronchial Pneumonia from his complication with AIDS. In the final photo, Mercury is seen standing outside of his home, in the garden with one of his many different cats. This one is named Ginger and was reported to be the most anti-social of his cats. Freddie was a famous advocate of Hedonism and believed that pleasure and happiness were the greatest pursuits anyone could have in life.
2) Steve Jobs: Apple CEO and co-founder Steve Jobs passed away under hospital care on October 5th, 2011 after losing his battle with Pancreatic cancer. At the time, Steve was only 56 years old. Steve went on record saying that he regretted seeking alternative medicine as a treatment for his cancer, and in some of his final written words, he expresses that the pursuit of relationships, art, and dreams of your youth are far more important than wealth.
3) Heath Ledger: Hollywood actor Heath Ledger, best known for his roles in Brokeback Mountain and as The Joker in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight, was last captured in costume during the filming of The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. Ledger passed away on January 22, 20078 in New York after a drug overdose. Ledger is remembered for his iconic roles, caring personality, and legacy.
4) Muhammad Ali: The last known photo of boxing legend Muhammad Ali, were captured by a British photographer named Zenon Texeria. The photoshoot captures in time, perhaps a lingering spark, of the champion whose greatest opponent would be Parkinson’s disease, an ailment he refused to let defeat his spirits. Ali passed away on June 3rd, 2016 at the age of 74.
5) Chester Bennington: Singer for the successful band Linkin Park, Chester Bennington passed away on July 20th, 2017 after taking his own life. Many publications have remarked that “depression has no face,” as in the days leading up to his suicide, Chester had a smile for everyone. His death is mourned by all of his fans around the world.
6) Kurt Cobain: The lead singer behind the wildly successful rock band Nirvana, passed away after putting a shotgun to his head on April 5th, 1994. The inspiring and genius rock singer battled severe depression and bipolar disorder. At the time of his death, he was listening to REM’s Automatic For The People album.
7) Bob Marley: In one of the last known photos of his death, committed Rastafari Bob Marley, lost his battle with skin cancer on May 11th, 1981 at age 36. He was raised as a Catholic, but in the 60s he returned to Jamaica to convert to Rastafari and begun growing dreadlocks. His iconic reggae sound is one of the greatest contributions to music in history.
8) Mark Twain: The famous author of the Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and it’s sequel The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known as his pen name of Mark Twain, passed away at age 74. In the last known photo of Clemens, he is seen arriving home with his party from a trip to Bermuda.
9) John Lennon: In one of the last known photos of music legend and Beatles icon John Lennon, he is seen somewhere in New York just outside of his home. His killer, Mark David Chapman, was found with a copy of Catcher in the Rye after murdering Lennon. His killer claimed Lennon was a ‘phoney,’ a primary theme of the book, and performed his crime. Lennon was famous for not only writing the most iconic songs in history but also his political activism during the Vietnam War.
10) Mahatma Gandhi: The famous political activist and philosopher, Gandhi was renowned for his ‘non-violent’ protests, and sparked a new movement of Independence in India against British rule. He championed Nonviolent Civil Disobedience which inspired people from around the globe. In a photo of his final moments, Gandhi is seen about to start prayer before he was murdered by right-wing advocate Nathuram Godse, who shot Gandhi in the chest.
11) Jim Morrison: After recording his album “LA Woman” in the early 70s, Morrison took some time off of his music and moved with his girlfriend to Paris, France. In one of the last known photos of the singer, Morrison is seen at a French restaurant with his girlfriend Pamela Courson. Morrison was pronounced dead on July 3rd, 1971 in his bathtub, after apparent heart failure, although the official cause of his death remains a mystery as autopsies are not required under French law.
12) Amy Winehouse: The famous singer and songwriter who was the first British woman to win five Grammy awards, passed away at her home in Camden Town, London, the UK on July 23, 2011. When news of her death came around, her album Back to Black became for a short time the best-selling album of the UK in the 21st century. It was later revealed that Winehouse died due to alcohol poisoning from her weakened physical state, likely due to an eating disorder.
13) Jimi Hendrix: According to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they describe Jimi Hendrix as “arguably the greatest instrumentalist in the history of rock music.” The day before he died, this photo was taken by Hendrix’s girlfriend behind their apartment in London. According to his autopsy, Hendrix died from asphyxia from his own vomit after being too intoxicated in his sleep. He died on September 18, 1970.
14) Albert Einstein: In one of his last known photos, world-famous scientist Albert Einstein, is seen standing outside of his home in Princeton, New Jersey. This would be one month before Einstein died from a burst aortic aneurysm, on April 18, 1955. Einstein was a theoretical physicist, best known for his formula, and the world’s most famous equation E = mc 2.
15) David Bowie: In one of his last known photos, Bowie is seen posing in a stylish photoshoot by his lifelong friend and photography Jimmy King. The photo was taken to promote his album Blackstar. David died on January 10th, 2016, after losing his battle with cancer. The rockstar is remembered as one of the greatest legends in music.
16) Tupac Shakur: One of the greatest and most influential rappers of all time, Shakur was snapped in this photograph with his friend Suge Knight after leaving the Bruce Seldon vs. Mike Tyson boxing match in Las Vegas. Shortly after the photo was taken, Shakur was killed in a gang drive-by shooting on September 13th, 1996. He was only 25 at the time.
17) Johnny Cash: At his final performance, Cash played in a modest crowd at the Carter Fold Ranch in 2003. This final footage captures the music legend’s final live performance just a couple months before his death on September 12, 2004, from complications due to his diabetes. He died less than four months after his wife, and it’s suggested the decline in his health was due to a broken heart. His final album, American V: A Hundred Highways was released after his death in 2006, and was Number 1 on the Billboard top 200 for the week.
18) Elvis Presley: The final photo taken of the King himself, features Elvis returning to Graceland after a very late night visit to the dentist. The day after, Elvis was scheduled to fly to Portland, Maine for a concert. The King stayed the night at his Master Suite in Graceland, went to use the bathroom and read a book, and died of heart failure on August 16th, 1977.
19) James Dean: The famous actor was also an avid race car driver, which ultimately lead to his death after a crash on September 30th, 1955. He was only 24 at the time. Dean was considered one of the greatest male icons of all time. Although his sexuality is speculated, Dean once said “No, I am not a homosexual. But I’m also not going to go through life with one hand tied behind my back.” The last known photo of Dean was taken as he pumped gas into his Porsche hours before his fatal crash.
20) Robin Williams: In his last known photo, famous actor Robin Williams poses with a fan at Dairy Queen. This same time, Williams had checked into a rehabilitation clinic for his drug addiction. Williams struggled with mental illness his entire life, and as a result of his disease, he passed away by suicide on August 11, 2014. He is remembered for his kindness, humor, and memorable roles in Hollywood.
21) James Gandolfini: The famous Sopranos actor was last seen dining in Rome, at a fresco table enjoying the company of his friends. Less than 24 hours later, Gandolfini passed away from a heart attack at age 51 on June 19, 2013. He was spotted enjoying a plate of gnocchi and enjoying his stay in Italy.
22) Marilyn Monroe: In her last known photo, Marilyn Monroe posed with renowned pianist Buddy Greco, a few days before her passing. She was found dead days later on August 5th, 1962, from an apparent barbiturate overdose. At the time, Monroe was suffering from mental illness and substance abuse for years. Her death was slated as a probable suicide by the Los Angeles coroner’s office, but no evidence of this could be concluded.
23) Anton Yelchin: In his last public appearance, Yelchin was seen on a red carpet enjoying his time with his co-stars for the premiere of Green Room. In the days following, Yelchin was killed in what many called a freak accident when he was pinned between a brick pillar and his Jeep. As he exited the vehicle, the car was on a steep incline, which trapped Yelchin, killing him on impact.
24) Princess Diana: While many blamed the rash actions of the paparazzi for her death, it was later revealed that Princess Diana’s driver Henri Paul who also died in the crash, was responsible for the crash after being under the influence. The crash occurred at the Pont de L’Alma tunnel in Paris, France, shortly after the photographers snapped the photos. Princess Diana was pronounced dead at the Hospital. Princess Diana’s other companions, Dodi Fayed, and Henri Paul were pronounced dead at the scene. The only survivor of the crash, was Trevor Rees-Jones, Diana’s bodyguard.
Click NEXT PAGE to read more about this story and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends.