There are two types of people in this world. One group is all for beaches, vacation and swimming in the open ocean – they might even be curious about snorkeling or surfing – and then there’s the other half that is absolutely terrified about setting foot in the ocean. Does this sound like you? Does the thought of taking a casual swim in the ocean send shivers down your spine? Or perhaps you have an irrational fear of seeing a shark at the bottom of your swimming pool? Did you know that there is actually a name for this? It’s called Thalassophobia and it’s a real phobia. Thalassophobia may cause the fear of:
- Deep Water
- The Unknown
Is this starting to sound familiar? Some of you may be shaking your heads and wondering how someone could be afraid of a little water. Well, have a look at this gallery to learn why this phobia exists.
Some of you might not even know that you have Thalassophobia. Whether you’re here to test your bravery or laugh in the face of darkness, check out this gallery that is sure to give you the willies.
1. Between Pillars: Could you imagine going for a swim at a harbor and seeing this? Your only options would be to stay completely still, trying to remain unnoticed as your oxygen runs out, or making a mad dash for the surface but having to take your eyes off this creature.
2. Every Child’s Irrational Fear. Even though this concept is wildly impossible, doesn’t this image make you feel a bit uncomfortable? If the answer is yes, you might be dealing with Thalassophobia.
3. If you were skittish about going surfing or paddle boarding before, this close encounter will send shivers down your spine.
4. While most whales are not looking to tip or swallow boats like Monstro from Pinnochio, could you imagine being in this boat? The size difference alone is enough to make the average person sweat.
5. Too Close For Comfort. Lurking just under the surface is a wide, toothy mouth. Imagine if you jumped into the waters to meet this? Nightmare fuel at it’s finest…
6. Would you swim at this beach? Lurking in the depths past the tide, these terrifying tentacle-like shapes are most likely seaweed but either way it’s insanely creepy.
8. Does this make your stomach turn? There is so much space between the ocean surface and the ocean floor and whatever is lurking down there is pretty much unbeknownst to us. Imagine going for a dive and coming face to face with something so much larger than you are… does it freak you out?
9. Shark attacks are rare, but we’re willing to bet that seeing this would startle almost anyone. If you thought you were scared of surfing before, looking at these photos probably isn’t helping your case.
10. And it’s not just sharks and whales to look out for, the deeper you go the more strange and obscure life forms linger including whatever this nightmarish creature is. Some of the deep sea creatures almost look as if they have come from another planet.
12. Another scale of just how large the creatures can get.
13. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming to the surface! Would you be able to dive into further depths? Look at how the light completely vanishes.
14. Or how about exploring a sunken ship that could be full of all sorts of remains and other freaky things. We’re willing to bet it wouldn’t be as bright and picturesque as this.
16. Whether you find the ocean fascinating or terrifying, we’re willing to bet that after seeing these photos you may be second guessing your plunge into the ocean on your next vacation.