Big fans of Game of Thrones are pretty well in love with Daenerys Targaryen when she became the heroine who controlled dragons and started standing up for herself. I think it’s best for everyone if we just blow past the revelation that was dropped on us during the season finale and focus on how cool we all thought Daenerys was.
As great as she is, House Targaryen has some interesting history attached to it as well. We got to see Dany form from the controlled sister to present dragon mom but it’s not just her you should be focusing on.
The Targaryen house has a lot of interesting history to it and rather than make you read a 600-page document, we’re gonna sum up their history in a few facts for you.
1. The Targaryens are descendants of the Valyrians who lived in Essos. They share a lot of similar physical traits to them like their pale skin and hair.
2. The Targaryen house also took other traits from the Valyrians, like incestuous relationships. This was meant to keep the bloodline pure.
3. When the Valyrians discovered dragons in their mountains they learned how to control them.
4. The Valyrians destroyed the Ghiscari regime in a series of five wars with their dragons. They expanded their land from there.
5. Ghiscari people had a successful empire through slave labor and the Valyrians used thousands of slaves throughout their regime so they could emulate the same success.
6. A guild of assassins called the Faceless Men shipped a ton of slaves out from the mines and formed the secret city of Bravos, where slavery was forbidden.
7. The Targaryens lived in Valyria until Daenys, daughter of Lord Aenar Targaryen, said she envisioned Valyria being destroyed. Aenar moved his family out and 12 years later, Valyria was destroyed.
8. After the Doom of Valyria, wars in Essos broke out among the houses. When Aegon Targaryen was born, he conquered six of the seven houses in Westeros and restored peace in Essos.
9. Aegon married both of his sisters and conquered the six houses riding Balerion. When Aenar moved his family out before the Doom of Valyria, the family brought five dragons, including Balerion, with them.
10. The Iron Throne came from Aegon Targaryen. From 1,000 swords of enemies that surrendered to him, the throne was made. Aegon’s dragon, Balerion, welded the piece together with his breath.
11. Their house crest and phrase “blood of the dragon” comes from the fact that the Targaryen family was one of 40 to rule Valyria.
12. Daenerys was believed to be the only legitimate Targaryen who’s still alive until the end of Season 7 of the TV show.