Subscribe to our mailing list

16-Year-Old Girl Dies From ‘Rapunzel Syndrome,’ And Here’s What That Means


Rapunzel syndrome or trichophagia is compulsive eating of hair eating. According to the National Health Sciences, it is thought of as an impulse control disorder whereby one relieves stress by ingesting hair. What may be regarded as an innocent habit can actually be fatal since hairballs can form in the stomach which can then become infected.

And this is exactly what happened to 16-year-old Jasmine Beever.

She was away at college in the UK when she died suddenly.

Jasmine Beever was only 16 years old and from Skegness, about four hours east of Manchester, when she fell sick earlier this month. When she went home to rest, she found herself with blotchy red skin.


She was later taken to a hospital where staff attempted life-saving resuscitation. It has been reported that the teen was revived for 15 minutes but died shortly after.

An autopsy showed that Jasmine died from peritonitis which is when the thin membrane of the abdominal wall becomes infected.


The infection that was brought on in Jasmine’s case was from the hairball that had steadily grown in her stomach. The infected hairball then led to a burst ulcer that ultimately led her organs to shut down.

According to a Facebook post made by their family friend, Donna Marshall, Jasmine had been chewing and sucking on her hair for years.


She continued on by saying: ‘Jasmine was amazing. She was one of those kids where she would make a sad face in the room smile. She was so bubbly.’


A fundraiser started by Jasmine’s best friend has since received more than 3,500 pounds, which far exceeds their 2,000 pound target.


As reported by, Beever’s parents have said: ‘we are extremely upset but we want to thank everybody for all they have done for the family.’



More From Providr