Growing up, we are inundated with love stories. Whether it be in the form of a fairy tale or a Disney movie, we grow up expecting a Prince Charming or a Princess to just glamorously enter into our lives.
Now, not everyone has the luxury of entering into royalty but some love stories truly are fairy tales.
Here are 10 love stories that were so romantic and cute they got turned into a movie.
1. Coco Before Chanel. This movie was based on the real life story of fashion queen Coco Chanel. The movie talks about the designer’s complicated relationships with Etienne Balsan and Arthur Capel.
2. Miss Potter. This flick featured stars such as Renee Zellweger, Ewan McGregor and also Emily Watson. The movie was set in the 19th century where women had to marry a notable man to secure their social standing.
But Beatrix Potter, who was a famous children’s author and artist, decided to forego those social norms and instead find her true love.
3. My Week with Marilyn. This famous movie received an IMDB rating of seven out of ten. It describes a time in Marilyn Monroe’s life when she went to England for the shooting of a movie and then she subsequently falls in love with the assistant director, Colin Clark.
This led Colin to write a book on their short affair called The Prince, the Showgirl and Me.
4. Bajirao Mastani. Starring Ranveer Singh and Priyanka Chopra this love story was based on an Indian military leader named Bajirao the 1st.
He falls in love with a Muslim princess named Mastani and, akin to other Bollywood movies, the love story is a combination of love, loyalty, betrayal, and strength. The movie was popular worldwide and received a 7.2 rating on IMDB.
5. Hemingway & Gellhorn. The movie which features Nicole Kidman and Clive Owen is based on the relationship between popular American writer, Ernest Hemingway and Martha Gellhorn, his third wife.
6. Frida. Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina star in this movie that received a 7.4 rating from IMDB. The movie speaks of the relationship between Mexican artist Frida Kahlo and painter Diego Rivera.
7. Julie & Julia. Starring stars such as Meryl Streep and Amy Adams, this movie is about a blogger who tries to create all 524 dishes from the cookbook of the famous French chef, Julia Child.
Just like how Julia was aided by her partner Paul during the creation of those dishes, Julie was helped by her husband, Eric, during that tumultuous year.
8. Freeheld. This love story is about a female police officer who falls in love with another girl. They begin to have a secret affair but things come to an abrupt end when the police officer learns that her lover is stricken with a terminal illness.
9. The White Masai. In typical love story fashion, this movie brings together two drastically different people.
It features a Swiss woman who falls in love with a warrior from the Masai tribe. It is a combination of pride, passion, love, jealousy, and romance.
10. The Sea Inside. This movie illustrates Ramon Sampedro’s fight to willingly take his own life. As a quadriplegic from Spain, he falls in love with two women, Rosa and Julia, and the inevitable love triangle that ensues.
The movie received an 8 out of 10 rating on IMDB and won an Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film.