Prom season is the magical time when high school students get to celebrate the end of school before moving on to bigger and better things. There’s usually a prom theme, people prom-pose to each other, and of course there is the big question of what to wear. Prom dresses come in a variety of style and colors, and sometimes people even chose to make their own. Sometimes this results in a stunning gown, and other times not so much. While it’s true not every prom dress can be perfect, there are some dresses out there that are frankly, a bit bad. The worst can range from:
- Those that show too much skin,
- Clashing colors or designs,
- DIY disasters.
There are some dresses that could totally work for a different event, but seeing these get-ups mixed in with prom outfits is a bit jarring.
Here is a list of 20 really awful prom dresses that people have worn over the years. I think that everyone should be able to wear whatever they want and whatever makes them feel comfortable, but there are definitely a few dresses out there that made me raise an eyebrow.
1. Devil Date: I’m wondering what this girl’s parents thought when she brought home Satan as her prom date. These outfits would look cute on Halloween, but is this really the way this couple wanted to go to prom?
2. Represent: While it’s good to be proud of your favorite sports teams, is it really necessary to do so at one of the most memorable events of your life? Not to mention the long slit in the front of the dress. This seems to be a reoccurring style and I just don’t get it.
3. Backwards Dress? Is this supposed to be a joke? I’m pretty sure if any girl rolled into her prom dressed in this get up, she would get kicked out. It’s obviously insanely revealing and not even in a flattering way. It almost looks like this girl is wearing the dress backwards.
4. Knight In Shining Duct Tape: Sure it can be cute to match with your date for prom. Several couples do so by coordinating colors and getting matching flowers. However this couple has taken it a bit too far. It kind of looks like they’re ready to go to a cosplay event with these over exaggerated sleeves. It also really looks like these outfits are made out of duct tape. Perhaps this couple was trying to save money on the fancy clothes, but at what cost?
5. Sunshine Couple: Talk about killer coordination. I’m not sure if this couple is referencing something but the matching red, yellow, and white theme is kind of reminding me of McDonald’s. That’s probably not what they were going for, but again, this couple looks like they should be on their way to a convention, not to prom.
6. Camouflage: Unless this couple is going hunting before or after their prom, I don’t see why the camouflage was necessary. Because the photo is being taken against a garden and bushes, it almost looks like these are two floating heads.
7. Bubble gum: Perhaps this girl is an environmentalist and made this dress out of gum wrappers to make a statement. The real question is: where did she get all of that gum? Did she chew it herself or collect some from her friends? This dress must have taken eons to fold and it doesn’t look like it would be very comfortable.
8. What Team? This girl decided to express her love for the Twilight series by dedicating her dress to it. This is pretty cringe worthy and I’m wondering if this girl looked back on this decision and regretted it. It even looks like the dress has a light up feature around each photograph so she essentially turned herself into a walking shrine.
9. Too much skin: When you’re at your prom, you’re not only among your peers–there are also teachers and sometimes parents present. Yet students still show up to the prom dressed like this. What makes this worse is you can see two young children in the background. I’m not entirely sure what those see through straps are holding up, but this dress looks like it would be more appropriate for the beach.
10. Denim: Wearing denim on denim is already a Fashion Don’t, so I’m guessing that this couple didn’t get the memo. It’s hard to tell where this girls dress ends and her date’s outfit begins. Also, is he wearing overalls or a dress? There is just so much fabric going on here it practically swallows them.
11. American Pride: Not sure what inspired this couple to rock matching American flag outfits decked with hearts. Last time I checked, there aren’t any hearts on the American flag. This could be another couple trying to save some money because these outfits appear to be made out of duct tape as well.
12. Balloon Gown: This girl rolled into her prom looking like a clown. I’m hoping no one went up to her and asked for a balloon animal because that’s probably not what she was going for. It’s pretty brave to show up to prom in a balloon dress. What if important sections started to pop? Not to mention the trust she has that none of her peers would try to sabotage her outfit.
13. Cowboy camouflage: More camouflage, really? And this time it has a western flair. There is a lot going on here. The cowboy hat and the red accents make this couple look like they’re ready to go to a country club, or out for Halloween. They don’t look like they’re about to dance the night away at prom.
14. Back cleavage: Guess this girl didn’t look at her back in the mirror before trying her dress on. No one would probably notice or care, but I’m guessing this girl is less than thrilled that it sort of looks like her head’s on backwards.
15: Igloo Dress: This is just way over the top. From her date’s bizarre jacket, to the endless ruffles. The whole get-up is a disaster. This girl’s gown looks either like a giant cake or a mini igloo. Seriously, she’s like a walking tent.
16. Flag: This dress would have looked a lot better without the stripes running across the bottom. Not sure if she is trying to represent America or Australia but either way she looks like a flag.
17. Silk? These dresses could be pretty if they were less revealing and made out of a different material. The strange stomach gaps and cropped skirts make these dresses look more like lingerie pajamas. Also, what’s up with the leg garters?
18. Tease: Now that’s an interesting style. This girl is not leaving much to the imagination and if she made it into her prom I’d be surprised. There’s no way this is appropriate for a high school event. The open chest is just way too much.
19. Poppin’: This girl made her dress using bubble wrap and packing peanuts so that she could reuse them while packing for college. Though it doesn’t look horrible, I’m wondering how long it too make the dress opaque.
20. Rainbow: Either this couple is showing support for the LGBT community or they love skittles. Either way, this isn’t the best look for prom day. Just like balloon dress girl, they look like clowns or entertainers when they stand next to the formal attire worn by surrounding students. While I’m all for LGBT representation, this is an outfit that would be more appropriate at a pride event.