It has long been said that babies are often the target of supernatural beings, trying to either steal a young unprotected soul or use them to enter the world of the living. Tales and myths abound about children being abducted or possessed in their cribs. With the advent of new technology, we now often have recordings of babies at night. It’s easier to have our worst fears and superstitions confirmed thanks to things like:
- Baby monitors,
- Nanny cams,
- Security systems.
With these recordings, there have been many incidents of people capturing what they think is a supernatural event, and though some are explainable others are not.
Here are 8 of the creepiest things caught on baby monitors over the past few years:
1. A mother from Australia uploaded a clip of her baby monitor in January 2016. It shows some sort of spirit moving above her sleeping child.
The apparition was apparently there for quite some time. The mother has uploaded several videos of the sighting to Facebook. Whether it’s actually a ghost, or some sort of lens flare is still up in the air.
2. It’s not uncommon to see a baby staring at the camera with what look like glowing demon eyes, because of the reflection of the night vision technology.
But when the baby is also in this sort of Exorcist crab-walk inside his crib, it gets a little more disconcerting. This child is some sort of gymnast, or is possessed by a 3,000 year old demon who is coming for your souls.
3. Baby monitors that have no video attached can be even creepier, as people have found out countless times throughout the years. The monitors act like short wave radios and can pick up strange broadcasts.
That’s probably what this mother heard when her monitor started going crazy. She uploaded a clip to Youtube showing what sounded like an ancient (or alien) language. It clearly wasn’t English.
4. Though Nanny cams can provide parents with an extra level of security at home while away or sleeping, they are also susceptible—like any other computer—to hacking.
That’s what happened to a Minnesota couple, who heard music coming from the nursery while they slept in another room. When they went to check on it, it turned off immediately. Turns out the camera had been hacked from someone in Amsterdam who could control the camera’s movements and two-way microphone. Only on the internet.
5. There’s nothing wrong with wanting your child to have a friend over for a sleepover, except when his nighttime friend isn’t of this dimension.
One couple thinks they captured just that. A picture of their child in his crib seems to have another baby lying beside him. They swear that there was no second child in the room, and it does appear to be a bit out of focus.
6. In dozens of horror movies, a child tries to explain to his parents that there is something else living with him in his room/closet/bed. Usually dismissed at first, it comes back to bite them (sometimes literally) in the second act. Well for one New York family, that plot strikes a little too close to home.
Their three year old son was complaining about “the man in the monitor,” and how he was afraid to go to sleep with it in the room. One night, the mother heard a voice from the monitor say “Wake up little boy, daddy’s looking for you” before quickly exclaiming “look, someone’s coming!” as she entered the room. It was likely another hacker, but police could find no trace.
7. The idea of a grown figure standing over a baby crib has also been in several films, watching the youth sleep. Whether they are spirits who miss their own children, or a demon come to snatch them away, it’s an image that frightens many people.
That’s why this photo has so many people freaked out, as the figure seems to have no eyes and a hunched over posture. While the origins of the photo are shaky at best, it was apparently snapped by a parent who says there was no one in the room.
8. Possessed children are one of the freakiest things imaginable, and though we’ve seen many odd behaviors by kids in their cribs, this one takes the cake.
The child climbs up onto the railing, and with perfect balance and a guttural voice starts screaming. He lasts a few seconds as though he’s being held in someone’s hands, and then plummets back to his bed as suddenly as he climbed out. Creepy.