Tattoos are a fun form of expression and they are a lot more acceptable than they were 50 years ago. Everyone gets tattoos now! Even little old ladies. But for those of you who are thinking of getting one, you should probably consider some of the things that can go wrong.
Not to put you off your next trip to the tattoo parlor, but I think it’s important to know what can go wrong and perhaps this will help you avoid some of these unfortunate situations.
Tons of people have shared their tattoo horror stories to Reddit and some of them are so cringy, it will make you wonder if anyone got sued.
Here are 16 tattoo horror stories that will make you really angry.
1. I hope this guy got a discount if not a free tattoo after this. Jruff1984 wrote ‘While I was getting a tattoo, the guy dropped the gun and it hit my forearm. I, now, have 3 permanent dots on my arm.’ Hopefully he got it turned into something else later.
2. Shunus shared a story that happened while they were hanging out at a tattoo shop where their friend worked. Some guy came in asking to tattoo a fetus on his chest as his wife just had a miscarriage. ‘The guys in the shop flat out refused straight away. Except for one guy who likes to take things a bit too far and figured he’ll do it.’
3. Looks like it’s important to spell check your own tattoo before the artist actually starts inking. Artists usually get their clients to look in the mirror and make sure everything’s okay so this isn’t really their fault.
4. Phreezinc has a nurse friend who had to give a patient a shot. When they bent over, she noticed that he had hundreds of little flies tattooed on his behind. It looked like a huge swarm. That was probably a bit disturbing.
5. Reddit user Clap4b-s tattooed a W on each of his passed out friends’ butt cheeks so that it would read as ‘Mom’ or ‘Wow’. Talk about a nightmare for the subject. He later had it lasered off.
6. WrightSparrow has a few friends that wanted to get matching tattoos, and things didn’t go so well. ‘It was supposed to say ‘You’re Perfect’, but one of them says ‘Perfcet’. She tried to get it fixed, but the shitty artist did a half job on that too, so you can still tell how ‘Perfcet’ it is.
7. Tattoo artists have horror stories as well. Reddit user ferocity562 shared a story her tattoo artist told her about a time he was tattooing the Superman symbol on some young guy. The dude ended up passing out and then vomiting all over himself before running out. He returned an hour later to finish it but he was still dressed in the same clothing. They told him to come back the next day.
8. Tattoo artist and Reddit user ipastone shared a story about the time he was tattooing two football players: ‘I gave 2 football players from my school matching smiley face tattoos. One of them was screaming and I felt bad so I took it easy on him and so now it’s faded and looks terrible. The other one came out perfect.’ Probably not the best day for anyone.