It’s no secret the world has some evil people in it. Horrible people have commited horrible crimes throughout history. Some of them are even hard to talk about. Some of these include:
It makes it even more tragic when a crime involves a child being hurt. There are some parents out there that have abused their children and in some cases even killed them. In a lot of these cases, the parents are not in the right state of mind when certain things happen. This is still no excuse for some of the things they have done.
This is a list of 16 parents who have done terrible things to their children. These people can easily be considered some of the worst parents in the world.
1. Sarah Burge: The self-proclaimed “human barbie” Sarah Burge has received hundreds of cosmetic surgeries, which is fine, except she encourages her daughters to do the same. She gave her youngest daughter Poppy a voucher to get a breast augmentation at age 7. Burge explained that she could use the voucher when she turned 16, but if she developed naturally large breasts she could get something else. As well as teaching Poppy to pole dance, she also gave her teenage daughter Botox injections.
2. Gregg J. Kleinmark: After leaving his 10-month-old fraternal twins in a bathtub unattended while he went three rooms away to play video games, the infants inevitably drowned. Kleinmark pleaded guilty to the two counts of unintentional manslaughter and is facing up to 10 years in prison.
3. William Robert Olsen: After squeezing his daughter’s arm in attempt to make her stop crying, 20-year-old Olsen managed to fracture 21 of her bones. He was arrested and charged with four counts of first-degree assault and malicious punishment of a child. When questioned about his acts, he explained that he had squeezed her arm to make her be quiet so he could sleep. He claimed he didn’t know he was causing the girl any harm.
4. Ashley Jessup: 25-year-old Ashley Jessup was sentenced to life in prison without parole for at least 15 years.She was arrested for sending her boyfriend a video of herself performing adult acts on her 10-month old son. The videos were discovered by her boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend, who contacted the police. Jordan Russell, Ashley’s boyfriend, was sentenced to 3 to 20 years in prison because he encouraged Jessup to commit the crime.
5. Barbara and Kenny Atkinson: Known as Barbie and Ken, this couple locked one of their daughters and kept her captive in a wardrobe. They would only let her out to abuse her. They starved her and she was forced to use the closet as her washroom. Barbara had given Lauren up for adoption when she was a baby but changed her mind eight months later. Lauren was cut off from her siblings who referred to her as “that girl.” When one of her sisters was caught feeding Lauren cat food, Barbie and Ken barricaded the closet door with a wardrobe.
Lauren was rescued when a neighbor notified the police. When she was found, she was 8 years old and weighed 25.6 pounds which is the weight of a toddler. Barbie and Ken were sentenced to life in prison and will be available for parole in 2031. Lauren survived and is now receiving help from Dr. Phil. She said in an interview that she believes her parents deserve to be on death row.
6. Dalina Nicholas: A mother from Jacksonville Beach pleaded guilty after allowing her 6-year-old daughter to be abused in exchange for drugs and money. Police were tipped off after a homeless man confessed to a police officer that he had witnessed a little girl being abused in the same house by several different men. The homeless man had often gone to the house to do drugs and said that Nicholas allowed people to stay over frequently. Nicholas faces up to 30 years in prison and a minimum of 15 if she testifies against the four men charged.
7. Kenisha Berry: This 20-year-old woman was originally sentenced to death for the infanticide of her 4-day-old son. She placed duct tape across the mouth and body of her newborn baby, put him in a plastic bag, and placed him in the dumpster. The crime was committed on November 29, 1998 in Jefferson County, Texas and her sentence was eventually overturned to life in prison.
8. Susan Smith: This woman is known as America’s most hated mom. She drowned her young children in a lake. Many people believe that she did this to be with a man who had just broken up with her. Smith strapped her son Michael, 3, and Alex, 1, and rolled the car into a lake in Union County. She then proceeded to tell people that they had been kidnapped. Smith was sentenced to life in prison on July 22, 1995 and has since spoken out pleading for sympathy. She claims that her original intention was to kill herself.
9. Michael Marshall and Sharon Glass: This couple locked their son in a wardrobe and starved him. After the school began to suspect the abuse, Michael and Sharon decided to homeschool him. After he was found, the boy told the police that he was constantly locked in the bathroom, forced to eat toothpaste to stay alive. He was fed macaroni and whatever food he could sneak out of the kitchen. Michael and Sharon would zip tie him to a bed in a standing position, forcing him to sleep that way and giving him diapers so they wouldn’t have to let him out. To stop the boy from crying they would gag him with a dirty sock. He was rescued after a woman spotted the malnourished boy. Sharon has been convicted of 8 counts of abuse and faces up to 140 years in prison. Michael took a plea deal and only faces up to 30 years in prison for similar charges.
10. Eunice Spry: Known as one of the most sadistic parents in Britain, this woman tortured 3 children living in her care. The children, two of which were foster children and one adopted, were forced to eat their own excrement and vomit. They were also beaten with sticks. Spry also forced two of the children to stand in the cold naked. In April 2007 she was convicted of 26 charges of child abuse and was sentenced to 14 years in prison. Her sentence was eventually reduced to 12 years and she was released in 2014.
11. China P. Arnold: After having a fight with her boyfriend, this woman placed her 28-day-old daughter Paris in the microwave for what is estimated to be longer than two minutes. The prolonged exposure burned Paris to death. Arnold was convicted of abduction in 2000, forgery in 2002, and was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Arnold explained that she was intoxicated at the time, and took her daughter to the hospital the next day where she died from her injuries.
12. Megan Huntsman: After becoming addicted to meth, this woman killed all six of her children by strangling them to death after being born. All of the children were born between the years of 1996 and 2006. Megan was sentenced to life in prison after she confessed to killing the children and stashing their bodies in her garage.
13. Josef Fritzl: In Amstetten, Austria a woman was held captive for 24 years by her father in a small room hidden in the basement of the family home. Josef abused his daughter Elisabeth for years during her imprisonment resulting in the birth of seven children. Four of the children joined their mother in captivity, 3 were raised by Josef and his wife, and one died shortly after birth. Josef Elisabeth was discovered after her eldest daughter fell ill and had to be taken to the hospital. Josef was sentenced to life in prison and found guilty of all charges including incest, murder, and enslavement.
14. Joey and Chad Mudd: Every parent has their own form of reasoning to get their children to do there chores and schoolwork. This couple took that in the wrong direction. Joey and Chad received several charges of child abuse after offering and taking drugs with their teenage daughters as a bargaining tactic. The teen’s mother, Joey, smoked marijuana with her teen daughters, while Chad snorted cocaine with the girls in his truck. Joey received two child abuse charges and is no longer allowed to have contact with the children. Chad received six charges, including one for cocaine possession.
15. Julian Emms: This father was jailed for 3 years after stealing money from his dying son’s fundraiser. In an act of utter betrayal, this father stole the donations intended to help his son Michael with his fight against motor neuron disease (MND). The crime didn’t physically harm Michael but after he passed away the funds left behind by Emms were not enough to cover the funeral costs of his own son.