Most people enjoy living a life of convenience. No one likes to struggle over small irritations and everyone is always looking for a quicker and easier way of doing things.
There are countless life hacks out there designed to do exactly that. Whether it be using a bowl or a cup to enhance the speakers on your cell phone, or washing your sneakers by hanging them from the washing machine door.
However, did you know that there are actually a ton of convenient uses for some of the everyday objects you encounter? Many items have built-in functions that you may not have noticed before.
Here are 16 things that you have probably been using wrong your entire life. Chances are one of these is going to change the way you do things.
1. Bottles: Glass ketchup bottles aren’t so common anymore. But did you know that glass ketchup bottles actually have a ‘sweet spot’ that allows the ketchup to come out easier? If you tap the ‘57’ symbol instead of the bottom, the ketchup will slide out with ease.
2. Snack: Ever been at school or work and realized you forgot to bring a spoon for your yogurt or applesauce? Well, the foil wrapper can actually be shaped into a scoop.
3. Spaghetti: Has anyone else ever completely misjudged how much pasta to put in the pot when cooking noodles? Bet you didn’t know that your spaghetti scoop also functions as a measurement for one portion of noodles. Just cram in as much uncooked pasta as you can into the hole, and you’ll have the perfect amount for one person.
4. Spoons: Some pots even have a slot specifically for your sauce spoon to rest and drip over the pot to avoid spills or waste.
5. Juice Boxes: Chances are you’ve been in that unfortunate situation where you grip a juice box a bit too tightly and it squirts everywhere. That or you have a child who is constantly spilling. Did you know that the little flaps can be folded up and used as handles?
6. Toilet Plunger: Most people probably own a plunger, but are you sure that it’s actually a toilet plunger you’re using? You may not have known but there are actually two different types. One for the sink, and one for the toilet. Most people have probably been using a sink plunger in their toilets and never even noticed.
7. Peanut Butter: Store your natural peanut butter upside down to avoid separation.
8. Soda Can: Did you know that the pop tab on your soda can be spun around and used to keep your straw in place? Just slip your straw through the hole and you won’t have to worry about it sliding around.
9. Hook: Have you noticed a strange loop on the back of your shirts or jackets? This is not just a stylistic element, it’s actually there so you can hang up your shirt without wrinkling it.
10. Bobby Pins: Most women probably thought it was correct to use bobby pins with the wavy side out so that it would look more natural. You are actually supposed to wear them with the straight side out because the wavy side down provides better grip.
11. Foil: Have you ever gotten frustrated while trying to tear a sheet of aluminum foil or cling wrap? Either it rips unevenly or the entire roll pops out. There’s a way to avoid that! These boxes actually come with little tabs that once punched in, they secure the roll.
12. Chinese Takeout: You know those cute tall boxes that Chinese or Thai food comes in when you get take-out? Bet you didn’t know they could be collapsed and folded into a plate.
13. Oven Drawer: Most ovens come with a drawer at the bottom that many people use to store baking trays or other cooking supplies. But this actually isn’t meant to be a storage drawer. This location is actually for storing hot foods to keep them at serving temperature.
14. Toblerone: Most people know that you aren’t supposed to bite into a bar of Toblerone, but rather break of triangular pieces. This can actually be a rather difficult task unless you know that you’re supposed to pull down instead of breaking off.
15. Ketchup: Instead of taking multiple cups of ketchup, simply pull out a few of the folds to double the size of your ketchup container. This is also great if you want to dip foods bigger than a french fry.
16. Tic Tacs: Did you know that Tic Tac boxes actually have a dispenser so you can eat them one at a time? Most people like popping a handful of the little mints, but this might come in handy if someone asks for one and you want to make sure that they get just the one.