Zoos are places that animal lovers go to see some of their favorite animals. From monkeys to lions to elephants to penguins, zoos have a little bit of everything for people who just can’t get enough of animals.
Animals, though, can often be unpredictable and fickle. You never know when they might do something unexpected or shocking. They may catch you off guard by doing something hilarious or even dangerous, and might even make you think twice about ever returning to a zoo again if you have a bad experience. Visiting a zoo can be a fun and exciting experience for anyone, but sometimes things can go terribly wrong.
If you’ve ever wondered what could possibly go wrong on a trip to the zoo, here are 16 photos that may have you rethinking your next trip.
1. This gorilla may or may not have just scared the living daylights out of a bunch of little kids.
2. This massive lion will stop at nothing in its desperate attempts to scratch through the glass.
3. This gorilla wasn’t too happy with its spectators, so it flew at the glass in a valiant effort to frighten them.
4. Is it just me, or does this look like an accident waiting to happen?
5. This is the type of thing that would haunt a child’s nightmares for the rest of his or her life.
6. It may be all fun and games to this little child, but little does he know that the lion behind the glass is cleverly plotting how he’ll manage to eat the kid for lunch. If that’s not traumatic, I don’t know what is.
7. The look on this man’s face says it all.
8. This polar bear is holding a shoe in its mouth…and I’m not sure if I even want to know how it got there. It looks like he’s politely returning it to its owners, maybe?
9. I’m not sure how this person fell into this polar bear enclosure, but I’m happy to say that she made it out alive.
10. In this photo, a polar bear has grabbed the leg of a bystander who is attempting to struggle free of its grip. This is the reason I stay as far away from cages as possible.
11. I would not want to be in this person’s shoes…
12. How and why this man got into this lion enclosure is beyond me, but let’s just hope that he made it out okay. What would you do in this situation?
13. Note to self: do not go to an animal safari with an expensive, fancy car…because it will get damaged.
14. I have no idea how these three rhinos escaped, but this looks like the type of scene that would come straight out of Jumanji.
15. If this little girl wasn’t afraid of alligators before, she probably is now.
16. A list like this is not complete without a mention of the infamous Harambe moment when a three-year-old boy found his way into a gorilla enclosure in a Cincinnati zoo. Luckily, the boy survived, but Harambe himself was shot by a zoo worker.