There are tons of different types of foods in the world and each country has their favorite snacks and meals. A pretty universal food is bread and other grain products. Whether it is in the form of a loaf, pita, roti, etc.
A classic for many is toast and sandwiches, but no one does it quite like the British. Some people may find their beans and toast staple a bit off-putting to the eye, but let’s face it–British snacks and meals are wholesome and cozy.
From beans and eggs to jams and butter, British people are doing toast right and here are 16 different ways that they do it.
Other people don’t realize how delicious these combinations really are!
1. Eggs and Ketchup: It may look gross to some, but eggs and ketchup on toast is a great quick and tasty snack. It can be eaten at any time of the day and it’s always delicious.
2. Beans: A British classic. Beans on toast. More people need to try this wholesome dish that’s packed with protein!
3. Beans and Sausage: Are the beans not enough protein for you? Why not add some sausage! Although the beans are a great vegetarian option, meat eaters can still enjoy them too.
4. Beans and Cheese: Or maybe you’d prefer if your beans were a little cheesy? This definitely isn’t the prettiest dish but it’s super tasty.
5. Baked in Cheese: Even better is when the cheese has been mixed into the beans. Even though it gives it this strange color, it’s totally worth it
6. Beans and Ketchup: Don’t have beans in tomato sauce on hand? You can always add a little ketchup to get a similar taste!
7. Cheese: Moving away from the beans, good old cheese on toast is pretty great! You can either have it nice and crispy from the toaster or gooey and soggy from the microwave.
8. Welsh Rarebit: Of if you’re feeling a bit fancier, you can have this savory dish. The sauce is made from melted cheese and other tasty ingredients and it’s served on toasted bread.
9. Cheese Toasties: These guys are pretty similar to a grilled cheese. It involves placing slices of cheese on bread and then melting it under a grill.
10. Soft/Hard Boiled Egg: A super cozy meal. Toast gets dipped into the yolk and then you get to scoop it out and eat the white part.
11. Tomato Soup: Nothing is better on a sick day than a hot bowl of Campbell’s tomato soup with some plain toast to dip.
12. Spaghettios: This dish will totally bring out the inner child in you. This loopy pasta is pretty popular in the UK.
13. Tinned Tomato: Healthy and fresh, this is a great way to start the morning. Adding a little salt and pepper really does the trick.
14. Jam: Don’t worry, there are a few sweet tooth options too! Like good old jam! It tastes really good with a little bit of butter.
15. Marmalade: It’s sweet orangey goodness. If you’re tired of regular old strawberry jam, you can always opt for marmalade instead!
16. Lemon Curd: This is basically dessert. Fruit curds are usually made from citrus fruits such as lemon, lime, or orange. It’s the perfect treat to put on your toast if you’re craving something sweet.