Social media has essentially taken over a large part of people’s downtime and maybe even during their ‘productive hours’ as well. Whether for a ‘like,’ a ‘click’ or simply a comment, we strive to get recognition not just in real life but also via the web. Most of us get a nice little endorphin rush when we get a notification saying someone has liked our picture or given us a positive comment. That’s why we go through such arduous decisions and judgement (and filters, and crops, and highlights…) before we decide to upload a photo.
But here are some pictures that people clearly put up just for some likes regardless of the content.
From tragedies, to fires to injuries, here are 28 weird pictures of people smiling during disasters.
1. I guess when it’s not your neighborhood that got flooded then it’s perfectly fine to take a selfie. But who took this picture if we can see the selfie stick?
2. Instead of rushing out to help or calling 911, the first thing that she chose to do was to take a picture. I don’t know how many likes she’s going to get for this picture but I sure do hope that whoever is in the burning building got out in time.
3. What’s that object on the gentleman’s ear? And how did he manage to set his car on fire? Moreover, shouldn’t he be concerned with an explosion seeing as gasoline and fire don’t tend to mix that well?
4. In his defense, the hair in his face is probably obstructing his view of the burning bush in the background.
5. The sinister smile and smirk on this little girl’s face seems to implicate her in this horrific house fire…
6. How can a cat without the use of thumbs take a selfie? Furthermore, where did he or she upload this picture to? What kind of a social media could a pet cat have?
7. Maybe she’s aware of the fire in the background and simply wanted a trending photo but that girl in the bottom right corner doesn’t even care about the burning travesty.
8. She is laughing way too hard. Let’s hope it is because the camera person made a hilarious joke and not because of her involvement in the fire in the background.
9. There seems to be a dumpster fire and several firefighters working hard to put it out, but this couple in the picture seems to be having a hoot over the flaming garbage bin.
10. It seems like a forest fire wiped out several houses (or just a really large home) but this young man seems to be unfazed by the apparent catastrophe.
11. This giant building is up in flames and while most people would be shocked and scared for the people inside, the first thing that these two guys just had to do was to share a selfie…
12. As people are fleeing the engulfing flames these ladies decided to do just the opposite and stop for a picture. At least they are not smiling or laughing about it.
13. This picture was apparently taken in Manhattan at the site of an alleged bomb scare. It is alleged that several people were injured and two people went missing. However, she received some serious backlash for posting this picture online with the location set as ‘Scene of the accident.’
14. As the two officials tackle a suspect (and puts the suspect in a headlock) these two girls decide to snap a picture of the poor fellow’s arrest.
15. What do you do when you see a sand storm approaching? Take a selfie with an aggravated look on your face, of course! LinkedIn profile picture, here I come!
16. This guy has the right idea, it’s just a tornado…thumbs up!
17. I sincerely hope this picture was tampered with because otherwise this is just an example of two men not doing their jobs. There is clearly a house that needs their attention but I guess they had to take a picture first…
18. So let me get this straight, while a group of firefighters in the background are trying to put out the house fire, this one particular firefighter decides it would be the perfect time for a selfie?
19. I personally would not choose to take a selfie of someone else’s misfortune while wearing an impish grin on my face… (self-incriminating much?)
20. I thought the rule was no electronic devices allowed during take-off?
21. I hope that’s not his kid in the background. At least he has a life jacket on. I guess the father just had to capture this ‘family moment.’ Is that a failed homemade craft that they decided to test out?
22. As all the onlookers are trying to assess the damage and figure out if there’s anyone still trapped in the blaze, this particular gentleman decides it is the perfect time to snap a selfie.
23. In their defense, no one else on the beach is rushing to the aid of whatever is on fire so I guess this justifies the picture. Although, no one else is photographing the incident as well…
24. It seems like a nasty riot broke out on the streets. Best capture the destruction with a selfie. I wonder what they were protesting?
25. Whether it’s a typhoon or a hurricane, at least this fellow is somewhat indoors. His face says it all, he’s not HAPPILY smiling since there seems to be a look of concern and fear on his face.
26. Do you think she’s just a passerby capturing a disastrous moment? Could she be taking a picture of her actions? Most people’s reactions to seeing a house on fire would be different.
27. What better way to celebrate ‘a girls’ night out’ by taking a selfie with a street shut down by the NYPD police department? Seems like they were rather prepared with the selfie stick and the beaming smiles.
28. Does it make it okay to take a picture with a burning building if your caption on social media is ‘God bless you and keep safe’? I guess the answer reveals itself via the very first comment.