For some of you, sleeping may be the best part of your day. It’s the moment of your day when you get to unwind, lay back and rest, and escape the worries of the world for a bit. Some people, on the other hand, might hate sleeping because they may be plagued with insomnia, night sweats, night terrors or even chronic nightmares. Whether you enjoy sleeping or not, you can’t deny that having a nice little cat nap when you get the chance is one of the greatest things a human being can experience.
Some people, though, do some really, really weird things in their sleep. From sleepwalking to sleep driving, some people are just plagued with sleep issues that leave many of us scratching our heads.
Here are 10 weird things people have done in their sleep.
1. Believe it or not, homicidal somnambulism (or sleepwalking murder), actually exists. It happens when a person kills someone while they are sleepwalking.
The most famous case is the case of Kenneth Parks, who was acquitted of murdering his mother-in-law in 1987 while he was sleepwalking.
2. As shocking as it is to hear that sleepwalking murder is actually a thing, apparently so is emailing someone in your sleep.
A 44-year-old woman reportedly sent dozens of emails to her friends while she was asleep, and has no recollection of it. She did say, though, that her friend’s responses were quite hilarious.
3. Nocturnal sleep-related eating disorder (NSRED) is a sleep-related eating disorder (SRED) which is characterized by eating food when you are completely asleep.
People who suffer from this disorder have no conscious memory of eating while they are asleep. They are completely unaware of what they are doing when the eating occurs.
4. Lee Hadwin is known as The Sleepwalking Artist and comes from North Wales. Lee says that when he was four or five years old, he began drawing and painting while in his sleep.
Lee says that he does not remember painting when he wakes up, and cannot replicate any of the artwork when he is awake.
5. In 2005, a 15-year-old girl from London was found curled up on the top of a 130 foot crane…at two o’clock in the morning. A rescue operation was called up while the girl slept 130 feet up in the air.
It turns out that the girl was known to sleepwalk, and that she had climbed the entire crane while she was asleep.
6. This may come as a surprise to you, but apparently getting frisky with strangers is something some people do while they are asleep.
There is even a term for this condition, and it is called sexsomnia. People who suffer from this condition do not remember performing any sexual activities once they have woken up.
7. Just like people may sleep walk or sleep eat, sleep cooking can occur as well.
People have been known to boil water, start the stove or put something in the microwave, all while they are asleep. Of course, like other sleeping disorders, they do not remember any of it when they wake up.
8. In 2007, a teenager from Germany jumped out of a four story window.
It turns out that the 17-year-old boy was not trying to commit suicide, but rather he was fast asleep. He was lucky enough to escape with just a broken arm and broken leg.
9. Dion McGregor was a famous American songwriter who was also a chronic sleep talker, and was known to narrate his own — sometimes terrifying — dreams.
He was so much of a sleep talker, in fact, that his conversations were recorded and put together on an album called The Dream World Of Dion McGregor (He Talks In His Sleep) in 1964.
10. Believe it or not, there are some people out there who even sleep drive.
When this happens, a person will sleepwalk to their car and actually begin driving. When the person wakes up, they have no recollection of the memory whatsoever.