Mitch and Courtney Waldron, newlyweds from Tallapoosa, Georgia were on a camping trip when disaster struck and their lives were forever changed. At the time, the couple had only been married for 2 months. As they were sitting around the campfire, the flames began to die. In order to start the fire back up again, Mitch decided to pour gasoline on it.
In the process, Mitch accidentally set his wife on fire. Courtney described the horrific event in an interview with Inside Edition stating, “I was in pain. I was sitting there slapping my face, constantly trying to get it off, get it off.” She also told People magazine, “I stopped dropped and rolled while screaming bloody murder. I thought I was dying.”
Mitch quickly dialed 911 and told the operator, “Ma’am, my wife is burning. Please hurry. We had a campfire and it exploded. We need help.” The operator then asked Mitch what the cause of the explosion was, and he responded, “It was stupid on my part.””
When help arrived, Courtney was rushed to the hospital but, unfortunately, she sustained terrible injuries: 40% of her face and body were burned. Courtney spent a total of 51 days in the hospital and required 20 separate surgeries. While speaking to People, Courtney says, “My hands got burnt because I was trying to put out my face […] I felt every inch of my flesh burning off that night.”
Click ‘NEXT PAGE’ to continue reading and watch the video. Make sure to SHARE this post with all of your friends on Facebook.