Settling down and getting married can be a difficult process. Many people find love and happiness and are able to spend the rest of their lives together, but there are other couples that don’t always work out in the end.
There can be several reasons why a couple might decide to go separate ways, whether it be as simple as growing apart–or related to something more serious–a divorce is a stressful situation for everyone involved.
In order to make her divorce a little less tense, one woman from Illinois decided to do a ‘trash the dress’ photo shoot and set her $1,500 wedding gown on fire.
Equipped with red wine, scissors, and gasoline, 25-year-old Katlynn McKee took to a muddy creek to destroy the gown in celebration of being free. Check out the awesome photo shoot where McKee tears and destroys the gown before setting it ablaze and enjoying some wine.
1. Mckee got married to a man whom she had been with since she was 16. She explained that the relationship wasn’t the best and that she is glad to no longer be attached.
2. “We’d been together since I was 16 and married for four years. We grew apart.” Mckee explained. Mckee also has a 6-year-old daughter named Faith.
3. After doing a bit of research on the trend, Mckee put together her own little ‘trash the dress’ ceremony. She brought her wedding photographer and dressed in the flowing white gown. Then, she stripped down to her underwear as she destroyed it.
4. Her ex was surprised when she told him her plans and actually offered to be in the shoot with her, suggesting that she could pretend to punch him etc., but McKee wanted the shoot to just include her.
5. “We went out to this little area with mud and water, and I had a bottle of wine and a gas canister in a basket,” Mckee explained to Carters News.
6. At that point, McKee let loose and began to get the dress wet and muddy as she waded through the waters.
7. After it started to get dirty, she began ripping and tearing at it all the while posing for awesome photos like this one.
8. McKee explained that the process felt liberating because it represented her rebellion against the marriage. She even had people telling her that they wish they had done the same thing.
9. Next, McKee broke out the scissors and proceeded to snip off over half of the dress until she was left in just her undergarments.
10. Now it’s time for the gasoline. This really does look like it would be one of the most satisfying things to do after a divorce.
11. Here McKee poses as her dress goes up in flames, the remaining white fabrics slowly turning into ash.
12. Guzzling the wine, her dress continues to burn. This was probably one of the best bonfires in McKee’s life and I don’t think she’s going to forget it anytime soon.
13. By the end of it all, all that was left of the dress was an ashy pile and an awesome photo shoot. McKee says that she intends to display some of her favorites in her home.
14. Now happy and free, McKee is working as a hairstylist and can continue to move forward to a new era of her life.
15. McKee explained that she is very happy with the way things have turned out and is looking forward to having the images displayed.
16. She has even found a new man and apparently he is a fan of the photo shoot. Here’s wishing McKee all the best going forward!